PDA

View Full Version : Vent in bath Enclosure?

Thomas Thayer
07-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Gentlemen,

Greetings! I inspected a house yesterday built in 1964. The bathroom has been remodeled at some point. In the bathtub enclosure area approximately 12" for the ceiling is a wall register. My initial reaction is 'that can't be right' due to excessive moisture build-up.
I would like to know what my esteemed colleagues think about that detail?

Thanks in advance!

Billy Stephens
07-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Gentlemen,

Greetings! I inspected a house yesterday built in 1964. The bathroom has been remodeled at some point. In the bathtub enclosure area approximately 12" for the ceiling is a wall register. My initial reaction is 'that can't be right' due to excessive moisture build-up.

Thanks in advance!
Thomas,

I'm Far From Esteemed but this Supply Register would not even make my Report.
It's Blowing ( closed now ) my guess they turn the Heat on in the Winter and open the Register and close it off during the AC mode.

Brandon Whitmore
07-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Since it should be over 6' above the standing surface of the tub, I doubt it would make my report. If I wrote anything, I may write that it's goofy, but that it shouldn't hurt anything.

Plus, where else is someone gonna place the hidden camera?

Markus Keller
07-21-2011, 06:03 AM
There are some typos in your post so I am not entirely sure of what you are saying. However if you are saying that the register is on the ceiling above the bathtub ... then I write it up recommending removal.
- They always rust out when located in the tub shower enclosure area, too much steam
- Potential sickness hazard, cold air blowing on your wet body while showering. Not making this up, have had people tell me about it.
- Mold growth potential and rust out inside the duct run just above the register
Granted this one is closed but you don't know its going to stay closed. Am I a picky SOB, yup.

Rod Butler
07-29-2011, 07:56 AM
Gentlemen,

Thanks in advance!

Is it an exhaust? Is it a register because it connects to a common exhaust fan somewhere?

Honestly I don't see it as a problem either way. Yeah it may rust but it ain't rusted now so why report it?