PDA

View Full Version : New name for this forum

Eric Shuman
08-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Dear Brian,

I love the new Inspection News Board. However, I was wondering if you could possibly rename this section "Flamethrowing and Name Calling by Members of Various Trade Associations", that way I wouldn't be duped into spending so much of my valuable research time being entertained by reading the threads on this section when all I came to do was read some meaningful information. ;)

I did good today and only spent 30 minutes on one thread that helped me out in no way as far as I can tell. :D

Or, better yet, perhaps you could just include a new forum on the board with the above mentioned title so that I can choose to be entertained on purpose instead of looking for more viable information under the "Associations, Ethics, Standards, Licensing, Legislation:Home Inspectors & Commercial Inspectors (http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/associations-ethics-standards-licensing-legislation-home-inspectors-commercial-inspectors/)" heading and only finding more name calling, berating, etc. Some of the content on these threads appears to be less than "Ethical". Ah, the irony is not lost on me!:)

I must admit that I do read these threads because some of the posts are just downright hilarious, but some of these threads might fit better under a heading named "Got nothing better to do? Read these threads" or a forum called "If you are not in my association, you suck, read on for details as to why..."

To be fair I will admit that I am not a member of any of the associations so often listed (and flamed) in these threads as they have all done a pretty good job of lessening my desire to join any of them because of postings by certain members and leaders of the organizations.

Perhaps if I joined one or all of these organizations I would get more out of insulting fellow inspectors.:rolleyes:

However, I am a member of one association and that is this message board, which has a lot of helpful members and information and I don't have to pay a penny for the membership and most people answering questions don't care what your certification is or is not, or what association you belong to. I can honestly get good information, help and comraderey on most of the forums here and that is the kind of association I prefer.;)

Thank you,

Eric

Rick Hurst
08-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Eric,

I have to agree with you on this one.

Why do we as inspectors all have to feel like one organization or club is better than another? Its like watching a bunch of kids comparing "tree houses" or who's dad can whip your dad type mentality.

You don't see a bunch of plumbers, HVAC guys, PC operators all slinging mud at each other as they do in the HI biz and for what, belonging to a organization they choose to. This is still America and one can do so.

Maybe thats why the HI biz is not up there as having a professional reputation as the other trades. Bashing one another has to look bad for any of the persons visiting this board.

Watching these guys argue back and forth reminds me of a kid going to one of the old Baptist tent revivals trying to convert all the sinners in the world. One must preach louder than the other.

JMHO

Rick

Eric Shuman
08-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Rick,

I totally agree, and I went to a few of those revivals when I was kid.:eek: Its a great analogy.

Actually it was your post with kid praying "Let it end" in the latest thread
that really got me! I had to say something too.

Eric

Matt Fellman
08-07-2007, 06:15 PM
With the long reaching arm of 'Google' and other search engines I couldn't imagine putting my name to some of the crazy BS that's been flying around here lately.

Let's say Mr. Soon to be homeowner sits down with three names his realtor gave him and decides to do a little research on which HI to hire. I can't imagine him opting for the one embattled in the internet equivalent of a bar fight.

I'm actually disappointed the main generals in this war aren't in my immediate area.

Harvey Hempelstern
08-07-2007, 06:58 PM
What is most interesting about these posts...not only on little message boards like this, but even over at the NACHI message board, these urinating olympic threads always attract the highest number of hits.

Say what you will and "tsk-tsk" than all you like, they attract hits which every message board strives for.

Richard Rushing
08-07-2007, 07:00 PM
It's down-right comical!!

I've said it before... It's like a couple of little girls slap-fighting each other, or a bunch-a high school kids trying to take school spirit too far, wanting to fight each other because their school was dissed.

Then, you have those who are only a migrane headache away form climbing a clock tower with a 30-06 rifle. Those crazy bass-turds are still trying to compensate from having had their back washed by their daddy until they had hair on their back... :D

Honest to god... If some of these folks had the ability to hijack an airplane, they would try to run it into their own computer (figuratively speaking).:(

Deleted Account
08-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Has anyone ever noticed that threads like this only appear when NACHI is winning an argument? When NACHI is getting the worst of it nary a peep from the shooting gallery, but just let NACHI appear to be getting the best of it and out of the woodwork come the "I hope Brian deletes this thread" crew. Comical

Rick Hurst
08-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Is there a real winner, and what difference does it really make.

I don't think that belonging to one organization makes a HI a better inspector.

What is important is how he does his / her job when no one is watching. Wearing an ASHI, NAHI, or a NACHI patch on his shirt or hat doesn't make that person a better inspector. Plain and Simple.

Thom Walker
08-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Amen, Brother Rick.

Actually, if they would stop all the little girl bickering, I wouldn't mind belonging to one for the purchase discounts and online training. But, as it is, I'd be embarrassed to tie my name to one.

Matt Fellman
08-07-2007, 09:42 PM
At a national ed conference an attorney specializing in HI had some interesting research info. Bascially, to the consumer a HI is a HI. We're all the same, every inspection is the same and all they know is they need one.

Let's face it, it's a once every 5 years purchase if you're the average consumer. The acronym on the guy's shirt means little, particularly because by that point you've already hired him. NACHI, ASHI, NAHI, PISSY.... it really doesn't matter to most people.

And anyone who it might have mattered to at some point will likely just turn into a deer in headlights if trying to research any of the organizations....

When you get a realtor's card how much do you really know about what all those letters and awards mean? And we work with them everyday... I bet if you asked 100 realtors about a HI assocation, 99 of them couldn't name one. All they know is they like a guy and that's why they have him on their list.

Joseph P. Hagarty
08-07-2007, 09:47 PM

Agreed.

Deleted Account
08-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Is there a real winner, and what difference does it really make.

What is important is how he does his / her job when no one is watching. Wearing an ASHI, NAHI, or a NACHI patch on his shirt or hat doesn't make that person a better inspector. Plain and Simple.

You are wrong I belong to two associations and both serve a purpose in my business. Just like life, marriage and most all other areas where you make some kind of commitment, you can pretty much expect to get out of association membership what you are willing to put in to it.

But I do agree that those who don't belong to any association should refrain from attempting to educate, cajole or police association members who take an active role in the conversation. It appears that we have an over abundance of self proclaimed nanny's on this board who believe that they know what is best for everyone which includes a large dose of silence... Freedom is messy, noisy and always seeking expression, I suggest you get used to it.

Rick Hurst
08-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Joe,

I've been married for 32 years, so I do know a bit about commitment.

As far as some of these associations being able to enhance my life as you mention I don't personally need. I'd rather donate those dues to the homeless or a charity than put it into the pockets of some has been HI's that found a easy way to earn a check by starting up some organization that basically is set up to help those with a "title" that may impress some unsuspecting homebuyer. Ever notice how many newbies in this business are so eager to chase down those CMI type titles because they can't get the business by their experience so they try fancy titles? Looking at some of the license numbers here in my home state tells me that.

I'm sure they have done the 1K inspections they claim. ;)

Again just my opinion, your entitled to your own too. Its the USA.

Rick

Deleted Account
08-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Ever notice how many newbies in this business are so eager to chase down those CMI type titles because they can't get the business by their experience so they try fancy titles?

Which came first the chicken or the egg? Are there associations which declare... 250... three years... whatever before you are worthy to do...?

Are there associations who say my way or the highway? Are there associations that give no credit for previous experience?

The mere existence of NACHI & NAHI prove that the needs of the profession were not being met. When the housing boom was on professionals were coming into the home inspection profession with years of construction experience, education and previous business success only to be told to come back after you jump through these 250 hoops. Today NACHI thrives & grows because it saw through the "this is the only way" group and provided another path for those whose previous experience should have been rewarded.

From personal experience I can tell you that had that other group been wise enough to embrace those of us who were coming into the home inspection profession from other worthy trades NACHI may have never made it out of Pennsylvania, the rest is history.

Eric Shuman
08-08-2007, 05:19 PM
"Has anyone ever noticed that threads like this only appear when NACHI is winning an argument? When NACHI is getting the worst of it nary a peep from the shooting gallery, but just let NACHI appear to be getting the best of it and out of the woodwork come the "I hope Brian deletes this thread" crew. Comical" - Joseph B

I did not mention deletion of threads even once in my post, in fact, I mentioned that I find these threads entertaining. That means I obviously read them. My (intended to be sarcastic and humerous) post was merely observing that true debate and discussion does not ethically or productively need to include a bunch of name calling, he said-she-said nambly pambly. As far as NACHI winning or losing, that is beside the point (and I personally don't care who "wins".) People from all sides of the argument are name calling and beating an issue into the ground on a personal level.

More power to everybody on both sides of the argument, I just don't consider these types of threads that have degenerated to adolescent behavior to be professional or productive. Perhaps others do.

Keep up the informative,professinal, productive posts of this nature, I can really tell they are going somewhere and accomplishing great things!!:rolleyes:

"But I do agree that those who don't belong to any association should refrain from attempting to educate, cajole or police association members who take an active role in the conversation. It appears that we have an over abundance of self proclaimed nanny's on this board who believe that they know what is best for everyone which includes a large dose of silence... Freedom is messy, noisy and always seeking expression, I suggest you get used to it." - Joseph B

And I believe that people that do belong to an association would do better to represent their organizations by participating in civil discourse, debate and discussion, not a bunch of name calling, accusations and generally unprofessional comments. Just because I don't belong to one of the associations mentioned on this board does not mean I have to sit back and keep my thoughts to myself.

In case some of you have forgotten, you are posting comments on a PUBLIC forum, and I have the same rights as you to express my "freedom" about any post made. I am not singling you out Joseph, only making my own observations about some threads, which is me expressing my "freedom". If people don't want others to comment on their threads, then maybe they should post at some other board that requires membership to read.

It's true that freedom can be messy, but we are not talking about civil liberties or national revolution here, are we? Lets be realistic. This is absolutely a matter of "mine is better than yours" or "my association knows best" when it comes to some of these threads.

"Nanny's" (sic)

And there goes the name calling again, case in point.

This will probably be my last post on the matter as I can see where this thread is now headed.

Eric