PDA

View Full Version : Inducer fan for water heater

mathew stouffer
07-27-2011, 05:22 AM
Are inducer draft fans for water heaters required to be plugged into a GFCI outlet or is this not a good idea? The water heater was manufactured in 02, gas unit.

John Arnold
07-27-2011, 06:59 AM
I just looked up the installations instructions for a high efficiency Bradford White gas WH, and it didn't say anything about GFCI protection. All I saw was that the circuit must be dedicated.

Billy Stephens
07-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Are inducer draft fans for water heaters required to be plugged into a GFCI outlet or is this not a good idea? The water heater was manufactured in 02, gas unit.
Not a Good Idea.

Jerry Peck
07-27-2011, 02:41 PM

Depends on where the water heater is located ... the receptacle may be REQUIRED to be GFCI protected.

What's the problem with having the fan GFCI protected? Is this like where some say not to put sump pumps on GFCIs even though it is required to do so?

There is an interlock switch for the fan should the fan not work - the water heater will not fire (at least that is how I remember the few that I've seen in years past.

Billy Stephens
07-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Depends on where the water heater is located ... the receptacle may be REQUIRED to be GFCI protected.

What's the problem with having the fan GFCI protected? Is this like where some say not to put sump pumps on GFCIs even though it is required to do so?

There is an interlock switch for the fan should the fan not work - the water heater will not fire (at least that is how I remember the few that I've seen in years past.
So Your saying it's a Good Ideal ?

Jerry Peck
07-27-2011, 04:40 PM

So Your saying it's a Good Ideal ?

Yes.

If the fan does not come on, or the fan shuts off, the burner shuts off.
You would rather electrocute someone touching the fan or the water heater, or the metal plumbing which was supposed to be bonded to ground but was not?

Billy Stephens
07-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Yes.
Is Your WH GFCI Protected ?
* along with your 20 year old freezer. :D

mathew stouffer
07-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks.

Jerry Peck
07-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Is Your WH GFCI Protected ?
* along with your 20 year old freezer. :D