PDA

View Full Version : Flue

Tom Rees
08-09-2011, 03:08 PM
The capped flue you can see is in garage. It appears to have been used for a woodburning stove in garage but is no longer being used. Yes that is an old speaker covering it and I know it is wrong. This flue enters the living room fireplace (wood burning only) flue about 3 feet above damper. My question is was it ok to share a flue the way this was originaly installed? My client would like to know in case he wants to put a woodtsove in the garage.

wayne soper
08-09-2011, 03:43 PM
No, No and No. and no wood burning in the garage.
Remind him that his homeowners insurance will not cover a fire that starts from a wood burning device he placed in the garage.

Tom Rees
08-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks Wayne, I was thinking about the flue connections and not the overall picture. Just for future reference is this flue set up allowed?

John Kogel
08-09-2011, 07:12 PM
No it would be wrong for any room, not just a garage. The open fireplace shouldn't share a flue with anything else.

Bob Harper
08-09-2011, 09:11 PM
soild fluel one flue per appliance

No stove in garages.

Need Level II now to see how to fix this mess.

Corn Walker
08-10-2011, 07:06 AM
soild fluel one flue per appliance

No stove in garages.

Need Level II now to see how to fix this mess.

Whaddya mean? They already fixed it... with the speaker!

Steven Saville
08-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Maybe the speaker is the "smoke" alarm.:D

Wayne Carlisle
08-10-2011, 01:33 PM
You can share flues if they are gas appliances. The fuel gas code allows the sharing of flues as long as they are properly sized.

See
Figure G2428.3(1)
COMBINED VENT DIMENSIONS

Stephen Tilleux
08-13-2011, 01:12 PM
You can share flues if they are gas appliances. The fuel gas code allows the sharing of flues as long as they are properly sized.

In this case even if you installed a gas insert with a full liner, the breach into the garage would still need to be removed.

Perhaps they were trying to make the fire pulse like a Ruben's Tube ;)