PDA

View Full Version : Unusual vent size and insulation

Jon mackay
08-08-2007, 01:45 PM
I inspected an oil furnace that had a vent running to the exterior side wall. The pipe coming out of the furnace has been reduced to about half of the original pipe (Is that allowed because of the fan assist?) Some insulation type material was placed between the vent and the floor joists but I wasn't sure if that was ok to do. The vent had a fan assist at the end just before going to the exterior.

The whole setup looked strange but before I recommended correction I was hoping to get some feedback.

wayne soper
08-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Is that a wood stove using the chimney for the furnace? And why?
Where is the wood stove located?
Are there permits for the installation of a wood stove? Right!
Vent requires further evaluation and repairs by licensed HVAC professional.
REmove the wood stove and use the chimnney for what it was built for, The furnace vent.

wayne soper
08-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Man, that vent pipe is a hazard. I should have looked closer. Slam it. That's HO install for sure. Or Clampetts HVAC with the three stooges filling in for a day.

Jon mackay
08-09-2007, 03:45 AM
Yes, the wood stove is in the lower level and has the flue coming thru the wall and into the chimney with a metal liner to the top; the flue into the chimney is also reduced.

What really got me is that they have service records on the furnace from a fairly reputable company showing routine maintenance of the system.

I still think it's all wrong though.