PDA

View Full Version : New Texas Home Inspector-Houston

Brandon West
08-10-2011, 11:09 AM
I just got my license(#20248). What is the best way to get experience doing inspections? Do you find another inspector to walk with on inspections?

Nolan Kienitz
08-10-2011, 07:21 PM
I just got my license(#20248). What is the best way to get experience doing inspections? Do you find another inspector to walk with on inspections?

Surely you jest with such a question?

Ted Menelly
08-10-2011, 08:31 PM

I do not mean to speak for Nolan but.

This question, although a good question, should have been part of a business plan you drew up long before you started taking the class to be a home inspector.

What I think he is also saying is

When you decided you wanted to become a home inspector, was it just

"I think I will bcome a home inspector" and that is as far as it went.

I am thinking you decided to become a home inspector because you heard of someone that put 3-4 -500 dollars in their pocket from an inspection and you instantly knew that this is a good, part time, good business to get into, it will suppliment retirement ......... but never really thought of what the heck do I do once I get a license. "I will figure out how to get experience once I get a license"

The school you went to or took the course from never gave you a real clue about the home inspection business with the exception of "pay us a couple grand plus, plus plus what ever and you will make 350 minimum in your pocket everyday and later on that will turn into 700 minimum in you pocket everyday" and all that really opened your eyes.

Or " you can work a half day everyday and still pull in1500 or more every week with working only 5 half days a week.

Not trying to be a rude and arrogant SOB but you need to go back to that school and demand your money back.

A little edit here

License number 20248??????? I guess I am going to go into the TREC sight and see where the numbers stand on the amount of inspectors we have here in Texas. Last time I checked it was under 11,000 and of course far more than half of them were no longer in biz.

RANDY NICHOLAS
08-11-2011, 03:17 PM
What Ted said...

Rick Hurst
08-11-2011, 04:12 PM
20,000+ Wow, they are cranking them out aren't they at the school. Wonder if they told them the RE market sucks really bad in Houston right now.....:D

Ted Menelly
08-11-2011, 05:14 PM
20,000+ Wow, they are cranking them out aren't they at the school. Wonder if they told them the RE market sucks really bad in Houston right now.....:D

There was a screw up in the system and it popped off at the 20,000 mark or so

Lisa Endza
09-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Brandon. You should consider joining TPREIA. Good state association.

Jack Feldmann
09-12-2011, 03:46 AM
Brandon,
I do agree with Ted.
That said, you should probably try to get to know inspectors around you and see if there are one or two that might consider letting you tag along on their inspections.
You might want to attend local chapter meetings to meet other inspectors.
Not all inspectors are willing to help out a new guy, especially in this down market where we are all trying to get every job we can. You probably couldn't have picked a worse time to enter the profession.
Good luck.

Lisa Endza
10-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Come to the TPREIA meeting tomorrow night. It is being held right in your town. Greater Houston Chapter of TPREIA Meeting Announcement (http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=c8ktqqcab&v=001xWuk4iGwEaIigKNpTMfknKKgaaQCkivlgkMlqSFEBpzns TNulwYOeza_xzUBrFNx0ni17oJLrMzOXzSRLEcuNlOe7_3GHkN VrthcPA0Mzh6Yzcv-YnivT02Bt6dTTIHBLhR3P_dcF-NIxtJEMQt_bvOMBJBYZjIj7bySolTGbK4%3D)