PDA

View Full Version : CO or fire detector?

Jonathan Jones
08-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Can anyone identify whether this device mounted on the ceiling in the kitchen area of a home built in the '90's is a CO sensor or part of a fire detection system?

Rick Cantrell
08-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Can anyone identify whether this device mounted on the ceiling in the kitchen area of a home built in the '90's is a CO sensor or part of a fire detection system?

That looks like a Heat detector.
If so, then it is a component of an alarm system, likely to also contain smoke detectors.
Heat detectors are most often 3"-6" round.
Most heat detectors are not testable, and cannot be reset (one time use only).
I cannot tell from the picture, but it should indicate if it is 135 degree (for use in the living areas and garage/ storage), or 195 degree (for use in attics).

Jerry Peck
08-11-2011, 06:09 PM
That looks like a Heat detector.
If so, then it is a component of an alarm system, likely to also contain smoke detectors.
Heat detectors are most often 3"-6" round.
Most heat detectors are not testable, and cannot be reset (one time use only).
I cannot tell from the picture, but it should indicate if it is 135 degree (for use in the living areas and garage/ storage), or 195 degree (for use in attics).

Don't heat detectors tell you when it is too late to run, that it is time to just curl up in a corner and kiss your butt goodbye? :)

Rick Cantrell
08-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Don't heat detectors tell you when it is too late to run, that it is time to just curl up in a corner and kiss your butt goodbye?

Something like that
An alarm company wanted me to install only a heat detector in a house for thier customer, I told them "You'll have four dead people before it goes off".

Anyhow, heat detectors are useful where you should not use a smoke detector, ie. attic, garage, kitchen, very dusty areas.

HENREY JETTY
08-12-2011, 08:28 AM
This is a Replaceable-element fixed-temperature heat detector.

I’ve read a complaint litigated during the 1980s on how heat detectors were pushed onto consumers over smoke detectors. Seems they lost out.
Recommendation: Ensure that the home has the minimum required smoke detectors in the home and do not rely solely on heat detectors.

(1) In nearly all residential fires, life endangering conditions will
occur prior to the activation of respondent' s heat detectors. Such heat
detectors, therefore, do not provide sufficient warning to occupants in the event of fire.
(2) Respondent's fire alarm systems combining heat detectors and
smoke detectors do not provide significantly greater fire warning
protection for occupants than smoke detectors alone.

FIGGIE INTERNATIONAL, INC.
FINAL ORDER IN REGARD TO ALLEGED VIOLATION OF SEC. 5 OF THE
FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION ACT
Docket 9166. Complaint, May 1983-Final Order, April , 1986

Jonathan Jones
08-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Thank you very much, Rick.

Jonathan Jones
08-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Thank you very much, Henrey

Sandie Hastings
08-15-2011, 03:00 PM
If it is a heat detector, it should be connected to a bell or horn to alert the occupants inside the residence in the event of an activation. You should be able to find a fire alarm control panel or a notification device somewhere in the house. If not, it may not be hooked up anymore. Some heat detectors are restorable, some are not. It's hard to tell with this device, I haven't seen one like this before. It looks old. Were you able to find any markings on it at all?

Jonathan Jones
08-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Thanks for your response. There were not any markings on the device however, we were able to confirm that it is a heat sensor connected to an old alarm system.