PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Sump find

Jeff Gainey
08-14-2011, 12:25 PM
I thought I would share my recent inspection with all. House built in 2004, 4000 sq ft, 2 story with finished basement, which I did the initial buyers inspection for.
I am running all the water locations during my functional flow and get down to the sump pump pits. there are 2 installed along with a sewage ejection pit. I open the 2 sump pits and see an abnormal amount of flow coming from the main pit. Even in the battery backup pit the water is cascading down the side with a steady pace. I could fill a gallon jug in about a minute from the flow. The tenants in the home said in the spring the sumps never stopped working.

Hot dry summer with just about an inch of rain 2 days ago. Still I think that is a lot of water running. I leave the pits open for now and go on with the inspection. I go upstairs and turn the water off upstairs everywhere and go back down to the utility room. There is just a trickle of water in both pits. So I think why not try this test again. Two more times-same result. Water flowing when supply is on. The main waste line for the house is about 4 ft up the wall on same north wall as pit location.

I tell the buyers we as home inspectors just get lucky sometimes being in the right place at the right time. Different circumstances would never have found this.

The plumbers found a disconnection in the main sewage line buried underneath the driveway with a camera probe. Seems like they were getting the neighbors runoff as well. :(
The pictures show the different flows That were present.

neal lewis
08-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Did you reach in to activate the float??

John Kogel
08-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Good catch, Jeff. I wonder how long they would have continued pumping the neighborhood sewage if you hadn't found that mess up. :D

BTW, those pumps are working. That greywater would have been spilling out into the basement if they weren't.

Jeff Gainey
08-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Neil, I usually shy away from reaching in for the float switches. I find a broom handle to use which is safer to use. Always worried me about electrical things underwater usually without gfci protection.

John, Yes they were really working. I mentioned to the buyer that if this is normal for this neighborhood, you should have another pump on the shelf nearby and add a water powered backup or the basement in case of power outages.

Joe Suelter
08-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Awesome!

Bob Elliott
08-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Jeff that was a great post.
I am sure you feel good about the catch.

Rod Butler
08-15-2011, 07:16 AM
Great catch!