PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Insulation

Chuck Miller
08-21-2011, 01:09 PM
In a crawl space I found the pipes insulated. They're supposed to be, right? So while the guy is insulating the floor he might as well wrap the pipes.
Seems like extra work don't you think, instead of foam insulation?:confused:

Jerry Peck
08-21-2011, 05:19 PM
In a crawl space I found the pipes insulated. They're supposed to be, right?

Yep, but not just the supply lines, the DWV lines too. ;)

Of course, though, he also installed the insulation upside down and left the paper facing exposed (the facing should be on the warm-in-winter side and is not allowed to be left exposed, must be in substantial contact with gypsum board or something similar - such as plywood or OSB which would act in a similar manner regarding smothering the flames in the facing).

Chuck Miller
08-21-2011, 05:41 PM
In our area we have more basements than crawlspaces, but it seems every one of them has the insulation upside down. I write it up and several agents ask what the big deal is.
I get tired of banging my head against wall of agents.:rolleyes:

Jerry Peck
08-21-2011, 05:57 PM
In our area we have more basements than crawlspaces, but it seems every one of them has the insulation upside down. I write it up and several agents ask what the big deal is.

Just ask them if they've ever had to try to outrun a fire, a fire they are not even aware of until it is too late, then ask them to tell you what they would tell the surviving spouse's attorney when they call the agent to ask why the agent did not think it was a big deal.

If they need time, tell the agent they have until the end of the inspection to write and turn in what they would tell the surviving spouse over something which was 'not a big deal'.

If nothing else, they will quit telling you it is not a big deal.

I have used that "surviving spouse" and "surviving spouse's attorney" many times in the past.

Dear Surviving Spouse,

It is with my sincerest regrets that your Spouse was unable to survive the ...

My Deepest Sympathies,

Your Endearing Real Estate Agent

P.S. My address and phone number have been changed, do not attempt to contact me.

Chuck Miller
08-21-2011, 07:33 PM
That a great suggestion, Jerry, thanks. I will use it next time.

Rod Butler
08-23-2011, 01:23 PM
In a crawl space I found the pipes insulated. They're supposed to be, right? So while the guy is insulating the floor he might as well wrap the pipes.
Seems like extra work don't you think, instead of foam insulation?:confused:

This is comical.

Honestly I wouldn't call it a big deal other than craftsmanship and even at that, it is out of sight and apparently non threatening. Looks like the homeowner had some left over insulation and spare time on his hands. Bottom line is that it reduces heat loss and that is the reason for the insulation.

Jerry Peck
08-23-2011, 04:43 PM
This is comical.

Honestly I wouldn't call it a big deal other than craftsmanship and even at that, it is out of sight and apparently non threatening.

Rod,

Are you referring to the exposed facing as "apparently non threatening" or the pipe insulation?

Rod Butler
08-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Rod,

Are you referring to the exposed facing as "apparently non threatening" or the pipe insulation?

Jerry,

I was referring to the piping insulation. The exposed facing on the underfloor insulation is different.

Jerry Peck
08-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Jerry,

I was referring to the piping insulation. The exposed facing on the underfloor insulation is different.

Got it, thank you for the clarification.

Glenn Duxbury
08-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Hi ALL &

I'm guessing that pattern of insulation paper (V B) being installed towards them - instead of the heated floor - because that's the clean side !

Mystery solved ?

CHEERS !

Marc Morin
08-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Sanitary Tee on it's back? Plumbers tape used to support waste pipes?