PDA

View Full Version : Todays.. What the Heck

Dan Harris
08-23-2011, 05:58 PM
1970s flip.. I enter the garage, turn on the light, check and make sure the garage door wasn't padlocked shut, yep nice looking new garage door opener, and open the door.
When closing the home down I'm closing the garage door, and shut the light off, hmmm the garage door stops.
Who would of thought someone would wire the garage door outlet to the switched light fixture.
Oh well, add another item to check on future homes.

Vern Heiler
08-23-2011, 06:15 PM
1970s flip.. I enter the garage, turn on the light, check and make sure the garage door wasn't padlocked shut, yep nice looking new garage door opener, and open the door.
When closing the home down I'm closing the garage door, and shut the light off, hmmm the garage door stops.
Who would of thought someone would wire the garage door outlet to the switched light fixture.
Oh well, add another item to check on future homes.

Could have been done intentionally for security.

Benjamin Thompson
08-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Could have been done intentionally for security.
You're kidding, right?

Matt Fellman
08-23-2011, 08:32 PM
You're kidding, right?

I've seen GDOs on switches many times and just figure it's for security. Little old ladies don't seem to trust the "Lock" setting on the button.

As odd as it is a lot of people still think their opener can be triggered by their neighbor's button. I had a neighbor actually acuse me that once.... it turns out she's just crazy and left her door open but she was absolutely convinced my button was controlling her door. I told her she had a better chance of getting struck by lightening and mauled by a bear..... in the same day.

Benjamin Thompson
08-24-2011, 06:20 AM
What you're talking about is a whole different situation than wiring it with the light switch.

John Kogel
08-24-2011, 08:52 AM
I'll bet the installer of the opener ran a jumper from the ceiling light fixture to the opener. If the light is on the end of the run from the switch, you get an opener on a light switch.

Joe Suelter
08-24-2011, 09:14 AM
I have my GDO on a dedicated switch. when we go on vacation it is nice to know the door is closed with no chance of it opening. My lights are ona seperate switch.

Jim Hintz
08-26-2011, 11:37 PM
I have my GDO on a dedicated switch. when we go on vacation it is nice to know the door is closed with no chance of it opening. My lights are ona seperate switch. When closing up a vacant house, I usually just throw the breaker or pull the carriage disconnect cord - no fuss, no muss.

Benjamin Thompson
08-27-2011, 02:40 PM
When closing up a vacant house, I usually just throw the breaker or pull the carriage disconnect cord - no fuss, no muss.
Yeah, pull that cord, that will keep them out every time:D

Billy Stephens
08-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Yeah, pull that cord, that will keep them out every time:D
Or NOT ! :eek:
Breaking into a Garage - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMz1tXBVT1s)

Jim Hintz
08-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Yeah, pull that cord, that will keep them out every time:D Ha ha, joke's on me, but have never had a phone call just the same.:D

Tom Camp
08-29-2011, 06:27 AM
I have found Garage Door Openers with 18GA extension cords for power supplies. People do the strangest things.