PDA

View Full Version : water heater accident statistics: where to find?

tom daley
08-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Where would i find water heater accident statistics. The Federal statistic collectors and holder's sites are impenetrable for me.

Scott Patterson
08-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Where would i find water heater accident statistics. The Federal statistic collectors and holder's sites are impenetrable for me.

I have never heard of a single source for this type of information. Outside of contacting each individual State Fire Marshals office I can not think of a single source for this information.

Dennis Krouse
08-25-2011, 07:59 AM
The National Fire Protection Association may have stats.

Garry Sorrells
08-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Need to get HG Watson on this.

Mike Boyett
08-26-2011, 05:40 AM
There is an NFPA study at http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/PDF/OS.waterheaters.pdf that has some information that might be of value.

Michael Avis
08-26-2011, 08:50 AM
An interesting puzzle. Perhaps Consumer Reports or UL. Let us all know if you find something.

tom daley
08-28-2011, 04:20 AM
Thank you all for replying and taking an interest. The Nat Fire stats were just the job, thanks for the ref. Mike. I wont rehearse the stats here, one can look them up, they are in a very readable form.
However, given 60 million in -situ and 8 million/year installed, water heaters are astonishingly safe appliances. The major cause of fire is clothing and chattels in close proximity to the W/H's.
The plumbers of America can take pride in such safe installation practices.