PDA

View Full Version : Garage slab cut out

Dave Hahn
08-24-2011, 02:13 PM
Curious what the thoughts are on the purpose for this cut out in the slab of an attached garage on a house built in 1938. I'm not certain that the garage is original, but it has the appearance of having been in place for decades.

The slab cut out is in between the two vehicle openings and measured approx. 7' x 2.5". The conditon and coloration of the cut-out look no differnet than the main slab.

FYI -Oil tank was removed from the grassy area of the lest side yard (in the exterior picture), not believed to be related at all.

Dave

Scott Patterson
08-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Curious what the thoughts are on the purpose for this cut out in the slab of an attached garage on a house built in 1938. I'm not certain that the garage is original, but it has the appearance of having been in place for decades.

The slab cut out is in between the two vehicle openings and measured approx. 7' x 2.5". The conditon and coloration of the cut-out look no differnet than the main slab.

FYI -Oil tank was removed from the grassy area of the lest side yard (in the exterior picture), not believed to be related at all.

Dave

My crystal ball is a little fuzzy, but if I was a betting man........ I would say that the cutout might have been the start of installing an underground storm shelter and that is about as far as they got. Honestly, it is one of those "who knows" finds!!

Dom D'Agostino
08-24-2011, 04:15 PM
I bet the area was formed out during the garage slab pour. They filled it in later.

Maybe they left it open for drainage, a planter, who knows.

brian schmitt
08-24-2011, 04:43 PM
mother in laws resting spot:eek:

Dave Hahn
08-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Dom...
I agree that it looks like it was formed out orignally (rounded corners), rather than a subsequent cut out. But a planter??

Not much sunlight in there, so maybe Brian was right that it was a "resting spot."

John Kogel
08-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Grandad never had a concrete saw, so good bet the floor was poured with that opening in it. Mind you, the garage may have been added in the 60's. I will bet there is a drain pipe under that patch. Something tells me we'll never know. Has anyone from that family gone missing?

Planter in a shady garage? No, but how about a planter in the living room? This brick bin was full of dirt, 1960 house. I'll bet the cats loved it. I suspect there've been a few burials in there. :D

Gunnar Alquist
08-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Jimmy Hoffa's grave? :cool:

Matt Fellman
08-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Dump pit for auto fluids? I saw something similar in an old commercial garage and it was full of gravel and gallons of oil/grease... apparently they hadn't got the memo about that stuff being frowned upon these days :)

John Kogel
08-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Jimmy Hoffa's grave? :cool:Nope. Too easy for that lid to be pushed up from below. :D

Franz Bailey
08-26-2011, 09:59 AM
The average length of a human body is 60" long (edit:or somewhere around six feet), and 18" wide and the average casket is 84" long X 28" wide X 23" high.

This information comes from the casket dimension guide of course http://www.dimensionsguide.com/casket-dimensions/ For those of you depending on the accuracy of this information I would suggest requesting a handy pocket guide.

Vern Heiler
08-26-2011, 10:14 AM
So when the concrete arrives the owner says, "I want a grease pit to work on my car", Where do you want it? "Centered of course"......oops!

Bruce Ramsey
08-27-2011, 06:30 PM
The average length of a human body is 60" long and 18" wide and the average casket is 84" long X 28" wide X 23" high.

60" long? The average human is 5' tall? Where are you getting your data?