PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion from electrolysis, repair item?

sidney alstad
08-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Came across corrosion at the galvanized copper junction at the hot water heater. I explained to the buyer and agents that this is called electrolysis due to dissimilar metals and was installed improperly as dielectric fittings should have been utilized. The listing agent came over and said this is not leaking, not a repairable item. I stated the galvanized fitting is defective due to the corrosion and recommended investigation by a licensed plumbing contractor or a qualified tradesperson. What are your thoughts.

James Duffin
08-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Came across corrosion at the galvanized copper junction at the hot water heater. I explained to the buyer and agents that this is called electrolysis due to dissimilar metals and was installed improperly as dielectric fittings should have been utilized. The listing agent came over and said this is not leaking, not a repairable item. I stated the galvanized fitting is defective due to the corrosion and recommended investigation by a licensed plumbing contractor or a qualified tradesperson. What are your thoughts.

It is not installed per the manufactures installation instructions so it is a repair item. If it was leaking that would be another repair item. A wall does not have to tumble to the ground before it needs to be repaired.

Raymond Wand
08-31-2011, 04:19 PM
Personally I would have reported it as a repair by a licenced plumber, it doesn't need further investigation. ;) Perhaps the listing agent has dissimilar metals for a brain.:D

Jerry Peck
08-31-2011, 04:39 PM
If it was leaking that would be another repair item.

It is leaking ... see that river of rust down the side of it? That is from a leak ... and when rust seals the leak, it is still leaking (no repair has yet been made and the rust will give away, then eventually reseal itself again, and repeat the process until it finally rusts out and cannot seal itself).

Billy Stephens
08-31-2011, 06:38 PM
It is leaking .

rusts out and cannot seal itself).
The most amazing geyser eruption (Strokkur in Iceland) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-daow-LojM)
....:eek: