PDA

View Full Version : Significance of missing bolt at ladder rails

Dave Hahn
09-01-2011, 08:15 AM
I'm not quite sure if this condition creates an unstable arm of the ladder rails or if something (bonding wire?) would otherwise be connected, or ??

John Kogel
09-01-2011, 04:58 PM
It's just a clamp, missing a bolt, IMO. There is likely a metal jaw under there that tightens against the ladder support.

Jerry Peck
09-01-2011, 05:34 PM
There is likely a metal jaw under there that tightens against the ladder support.

And what makes the proper connection for the bonding to the receptacle work to the ladder.

Presuming the ladder is bonded as it should be, that could cause loss of the bonding connection ... "could" ...

... "could" ... enough for me to want to write it up.

Matthew Steger
09-04-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm not quite sure if this condition creates an unstable arm of the ladder rails or if something (bonding wire?) would otherwise be connected, or ??

What are we looking at in those photos? It says a ladder but where is it? For a pool and that's the concrete around the pool?

Jerry Peck
09-04-2011, 01:50 PM
What are we looking at in those photos? It says a ladder but where is it? For a pool and that's the concrete around the pool?

.Yes.

Dave Hahn
09-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Yeah.... Pool and Spa section of the site..... blue water in background... reference to ladder...........

JOHN PAVAN
08-04-2012, 08:46 AM
I used to build pools. The ladder cup that is missing a bolt has a bonding screw at its lower end that is used to connect a bonding wire. The other responder is correct, the missing bolt pulls an angled wedge upward, which serves to tighten ladder or handrail tube in the cup. No way the missing bolt would impact whether the ladder mounting cup was bonded or not. Also, once concrete is installed, the bonding connection is not visible.

If the other ladder cup has its bolt and ladder is tight, than one would should still have good bonding. Both mounting cups should be bonded. Best to write it up as missing component- theoretically could be a safety issue if kids are playing on ladder and exerting upward pressure on ladder. Normal ladder use exerts downward pressure on ladder tube into cup. Tight bolts are more significant on a handrail, where pulling oneself up out of water can tend to lift rear tube of handrail up. Plus, some handrails have no cross piece between two lower legs and hadrail can swing to either side if cups are not very tight.

Rolland Pruner
08-13-2012, 09:04 AM
These things tell me if it not there it should be installed??

JOHN PAVAN
08-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Always best to point out missing component. Some ladders have plastic treads, with metal rails, then, a missing bolt means a loose connection on one rail might reduce quality of connection/bond on that rail. Again, who wants to get into all these permutations, if you saw a bolt missing on a pull down attic stair unit- you'd point it out- Safety Issue.

On a step handrail- who knows if one cup missing a bolt might make it less safe- the manufacturer sells it with a bolt and wedge to make it tight and secure- without bolt and wedge it is not installed as intended.