PDA

View Full Version : furnace vent prblem

Kenneth Jahn
09-02-2011, 11:43 AM
I have a problem getting a proper draft during high wind. Is there an attachment for the end of the intake pipe to prevent the wind from causing no vent? Thank you

Scott Patterson
09-02-2011, 01:32 PM
I have a problem getting a proper draft during high wind. Is there an attachment for the end of the intake pipe to prevent the wind from causing no vent? Thank you

Drafting problems or back drafting are usually associated with the flue pipe not being tall enough above the roof; too close to another object like a ridge peak or wall; Distance of flue pipe is too long; etc.... Another cause can be the lack of proper combustion air.

Jerry Peck
09-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Is there an attachment for the end of the intake pipe ...

I kept reading this and presuming it was a direct vent (i.e., the "intake pipe"), but I now suspect this is a Type B gas vent and the "intake pipe" is at the draft hood ... so, based on that ...

In addition to what Scott said: insufficient slope of horizontal section; horizontal section greater than allowed in relation to the height above the draft hood; use of a regular Type B gas vent cap instead of a high wind style Type B gas vent cap (there is a difference); no draft hood being used; and I am sure there could be other causes as well.