PDA

View Full Version : Painted Fire Box

Don Martin
09-08-2011, 09:17 AM
I have come across a few brick fireplaces were the firebricks have been painted. I have called this out as unsafe unless the paint is rated for this use. Any thoughts or additional information would be appreciated.

Eric Barker
09-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Thoughts? Really hadn't given the issue much consideration in the past and likely won't in the future.

Bruce Ramsey
09-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Even if the paint catches fire, it will be in a fireplace. A place designed for fires.

The danger may be more along the lines of potential hazard gases produced as the paint burns.

Eric Barker
09-09-2011, 06:12 AM
The danger may be more along the lines of potential hazard gases produced as the paint burns.

Not to be smart about it but it'd be much the same as the dangerous gases wood gives off when it burns. I don't see a difference.

Bob Harper
09-09-2011, 06:41 AM
As Eric said, the fumes would off-gas up the chimney...........if it is venting properly.

There is no code reference for firebox coatings. While it is not addressed in UL 127 nor in any mfrs. manuals I've read, I would never recommend painting the firebox refractory panels of a factory built fireplace. It will change the heat signature of the fireplace significantly and therefore constitute a fire hazard.

FYI, Count Rumford used to recommend parging the firebox with a lime white wash to reflect heat back into the room...........back in 1795.

Rick Cantrell
09-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Not to be smart about it but it'd be much the same as the dangerous gases wood gives off when it burns. I don't see a difference.
Unless it was painted with Lead based paint.