PDA

View Full Version : Light fixture above the bathtub

Bill Anglin
09-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Is there a specific code that prohibits installing a hanging light fixture above a bathtub? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Port
09-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Article 410.4(D) is the part you need.

Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected luminaires, hanging fixtures, lighting track, pendants or ceiling suspended paddle fans shall be located within a zone measured 3' horizontally and 8' vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the zone directly over the tub or shower stall.

The fixture would also need to be at least damp rated. It does not matter in this case since the fixture is within the prohibited zone for that type of fixture.

Vern Heiler
09-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Article 410.4(D) is the part you need.

Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected luminaires, hanging fixtures, lighting track, pendants or ceiling suspended paddle fans shall be located within a zone measured 3' horizontally and 8' vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the zone directly over the tub or shower stall.

The fixture would also need to be at least damp rated. It does not matter in this case since the fixture is within the prohibited zone for that type of fixture.

Looks like a 12' ceiling. Might be 8' above the tub?

Bill Anglin
09-09-2011, 03:58 PM
That's what I needed. Thank you Jim!

Jim Port
09-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Looks like a 12' ceiling. Might be 8' above the tub?

Using the door height as 6'-8 I don't think this fixture meets the 8' distance above the tub.

Vern Heiler
09-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Using the door height as 6'-8 I don't think this fixture meets the 8' distance above the tub.

Could be the angle of the dangle:D