PDA

View Full Version : Lifting Airhandler/Gas Heater in Crawlspace

paul brown
09-18-2011, 06:43 PM
This post has to do with my previous post (crawlspace sealing, dehumidifiers). I would like to completely cover the floor of the crawlspace which means raising air handler unit enough to slide new 15 mil vapor barrier and achieve 100% sealing of floorspace. AH handler currently set on concrete blocks at at least 4 corners. Id like to use a couple of heavy duty ratchet bands and raise it enough to remove block, install one of the new molded plastic AC mounting platforms, then lower the unit back onto new platform and total 15 mil VB coverage. Any suggestions, advice, problems to deal with, would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul

James Duffin
09-19-2011, 02:39 PM
This post has to do with my previous post (crawlspace sealing, dehumidifiers). I would like to completely cover the floor of the crawlspace which means raising air handler unit enough to slide new 15 mil vapor barrier and achieve 100% sealing of floorspace. AH handler currently set on concrete blocks at at least 4 corners. Id like to use a couple of heavy duty ratchet bands and raise it enough to remove block, install one of the new molded plastic AC mounting platforms, then lower the unit back onto new platform and total 15 mil VB coverage. Any suggestions, advice, problems to deal with, would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul

How does your gas furnace vent and get combustion air?

Jack Feldmann
09-19-2011, 03:14 PM
1. You need to watch out you don't break the solder joint on the a/c refrigerant lines when you move it.
2. Same goes for the gas feed. Make sure there is enough play so you can move it enough.
3. Same for the vent pipe.
4. James brought up a good point about combustion air. You need to make sure there is adequate combustion air. I assume the exhaust is venting properly now, so you just need to make sure you don't disconnect something when you move it.

It should be a pretty easy job, depending on how much room you have in the crawlspace.

Raymond Wand
09-19-2011, 03:47 PM
In addition there may not be enough play in at the duct work and the cleats holding the supply/return ducting in place will have to be loosened.

paul brown
09-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks all for responses--ref furnace intake exhaust--there are 2 3" pvc pipes which join together and exit through a plastic exhaust through exterior foundation wall. I would think this would be sufficient for intake exhaust?

James Duffin
09-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks all for responses--ref furnace intake exhaust--there are 2 3" pvc pipes which join together and exit through a plastic exhaust through exterior foundation wall. I would think this would be sufficient for intake exhaust?

Should be...I was just concerned about what type of furnace you had and was it getting combustion air from the crawl space. As always the manufactures installation instructions are your friend so be sure to read them throughly while doing this work. You don't want to put CO into your house!