PDA

View Full Version : water/sewer codes for N.C. (revised)

Terry Ward
09-20-2011, 09:36 AM
What is the minimum depth a connection can be that ties a home onto city service? (not clean-outs) What is the maximum height clean-outs can be above ground? I have 3 ranging from 3" to 15" This was a HUD-granted sewer project and I have spotted quite a few items that cannot be up to code, even though the city inspector an another inspector chosen by HUD, passed it. One home is approx. 20" above street level and where the home's sewer pipe gets close to street level, the top of the home's pipe is visible above ground. One homeowner's connection to his house an under his crawl space, came loose and flooded most of the area under the house with raw sewage, before seeping out into his yard.
The backfilling was inadequate in a lot of areas, no tamping was done around the sewer lines, resulting in sinking of the asphalt and washing-out underneath other homes. It is a mess. What recourse do we have other than hiring a construction attorney? I need help guys.
Thanks, and glad to meet y'all,
Terry Ward :confused:

Jack Feldmann
09-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Call the Code people. If they are no help, then you will need an attorney, but good luck trying to sue City Hall.
Call the Health Dept, for sewage spill, but likely its already fixed, so nothing they can do.
It doesn't really matter what the code is, IF the Code Authority chooses not to enforce it.

James Duffin
09-20-2011, 03:43 PM
What is the minimum depth a connection can be that ties a home onto city service? (not clean-outs) What is the maximum height clean-outs can be above ground? I have 3 ranging from 3" to 15" This was a HUD-granted sewer project and I have spotted quite a few items that cannot be up to code, even though the city inspector an another inspector chosen by HUD, passed it. One home is approx. 20" above street level and where the home's sewer pipe gets close to street level, the top of the home's pipe is visible above ground. One homeowner's connection to his house an under his crawl space, came loose and flooded most of the area under the house with raw sewage, before seeping out into his yard.
The backfilling was inadequate in a lot of areas, no tamping was done around the sewer lines, resulting in sinking of the asphalt and washing-out underneath other homes. It is a mess. What recourse do we have other than hiring a construction attorney? I need help guys.
Thanks, and glad to meet y'all,
Terry Ward :confused:

I think I would focus on the HUD inspector if you have his contact info. Write them a letter or email with pictures describing what you described here and ask him how this could pass inspection. You need to give them a chance to respond before you go to the next level. Or better yet ask for a meeting on site.

Terry Ward
09-20-2011, 04:59 PM
A most insightful suggestion. An answer like this is why finding this site is like striking gold:)