PDA

View Full Version : Premature wear?

Marc M
09-20-2011, 08:01 PM
This roof is 3ish years old, per the seller. Looks pretty worn for three years.

Garry Sorrells
09-21-2011, 04:19 AM
Is the cracking pattern consistent for entire roof ?

Eric Barker
09-21-2011, 06:56 AM
I think that the safe money would be on time having moved along faster than the seller thinks.

Marc M
09-21-2011, 06:57 AM
Is the cracking pattern consistent for entire roof ?
Yea, the entire roof.

John Kogel
09-21-2011, 07:15 AM
Was there granule loss, at the lower edges, for example? It looks like a bad batch of shingles, so there could be a warranty claim there.

Vern Heiler
09-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Odd that the cracks are located in the same place on each shingle and continue across joints. Is this a single roof or is it over old 3 tab?

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
09-21-2011, 10:05 AM
i,ve seen this happen to newer shingles,when there is not proper ventilation--two sources--one up and one low

cvf

Ted Menelly
09-21-2011, 03:38 PM

I have seen this with high impact shingles. They are very stiff and they seem to hold up very well for what they were made for, impacts, but are so stiff they are brittle as in expansion and contractions form cracks. If it is only 3 years old I would guess as some said that it is a good claim for a warranty

James Duffin
09-21-2011, 04:37 PM
What did the plumbing vent boots look like and what was the age of the house?

Gunnar Alquist
09-21-2011, 09:06 PM

Hey Marc (or is it Lloyd?)

I see that pretty frequently. Quite often it can be attributed to defective materials; however, inadequate ventilation can contribute to it. If I were to guess, I would say defect. Damage like that from inadequate attic ventilation typically takes a bit longer (at least up here where I am).

Marc M
09-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Hey Marc (or is it Lloyd?)

I see that pretty frequently. Quite often it can be attributed to defective materials; however, inadequate ventilation can contribute to it. If I were to guess, I would say defect. Damage like that from inadequate attic ventilation typically takes a bit longer (at least up here where I am).
Yo Gunner,
that's an awesome picture huh? I have another where he's hanging upside down after the "glue" scene. That was the funniest movie ever, well.., maybe just behind Animal house. Yea, I think there is a defect becuase the granular coverage is perfect. The roof looks (granularly) like it's brand new. So, I'll follow up with the roofer going out there to see and update yall. Also, JD, the boots are look fine.
Thanks Guys for the information, much appreciated.