PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom floor joist cut

nick ni
09-22-2011, 10:21 PM
I am doing bathroom remodel, changing a tub to shower room. My plumber cut 2 joists to route the drain pipe.

Can we still pass the California inspoection? Do we need to do something to repair it ?

Thanks,

Gunnar Alquist
09-22-2011, 10:41 PM
I am doing bathroom remodel, changing a tub to shower room. My plumber cut 2 joists to route the drain pipe. Can we still pass the California inspoection? Do we need to do something to repair it ?
Thanks,

Nick,

Not sure what you mean by California inspection. Since building inspections are handled by the local county or city building department, I assume that's what you are referring to.

What I see in your photo are engineered "I-joists", sometimes referred by brand names such as TJI or TrusJoist and should not have been cut. Now that they have been cut, it will be necessary for a structural engineer to design a proper repair and have a licensed and competent contractor make the repairs.

Moral of the story: Don't give a saw to a plumber.

Jeff Zehnder
09-23-2011, 06:04 AM
Nick,

Gunnar is correct you will need and engineer to approve the method of repair. Also even if the plumber had cut a standard 2x joist you would need a repair but you would likely not need and engineer to approve it. You should also pursue the plumber who cut the joist!

Eric Barker
09-23-2011, 06:37 AM
Ditto! Hold the plumber's feet to the fire so he'll be sure to that mistake again.

nick ni
09-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Hi all,

thanks for your reply. The city inspector asked me to open the shower pan and show him the trap and drain pipe. I am sure that he will see the cut in the joist. Will he reject it?

My real concern is

this is a condo. The bathroom is on the second floor. The bottom is the garage and all ceilings are sealed by drywall. It looks super difficult to replace the joist. What kind of repair is accepetable to city inspection? I don't want to make it too complicated.

Thanks very much,
Nick

Stuart Brooks
09-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Nick, the answer to your question will depend upon the the repair prescribed by a structural engineer. No one here can tell you how compled the job will be. I would expect the plumber to at least share the cost.

Eric Barker
09-23-2011, 07:40 PM
I don't want to make it too complicated.

The cut I-Joists are basically useless. A proper repair is going to be invasive. I'd like to think that doing it right will be everyone's desire. I don't like to point a finger to any particular trade but the fact is plumbing work often results in compromised framing. It's a matter of one trade tearing into the work of another without any idea of the problems that are being created.

Jerry Peck
09-24-2011, 02:32 PM
thanks for your reply. The city inspector asked me to open the shower pan and show him the trap and drain pipe. I am sure that he will see the cut in the joist. Will he reject it?

He should reject it until a structural engineer designs an appropriate repair and then the structural engineer signs off on the repair as having been done in accordance with the engineering design. The plumber should be the one to pay that bill (for the structural engineer and the repair) - as others stated, maybe it will make the plumber think twice before hacking things up the next time.

My real concern is

this is a condo. The bathroom is on the second floor. The bottom is the garage and all ceilings are sealed by drywall.

Being as it is a condo, you do not own the ceiling, the drywall, or the structure (which includes those joists) - I would contact the condo association and ask them what they need as it is common structure which the plumber cut.

It looks super difficult to replace the joist. What kind of repair is accepetable to city inspection? I don't want to make it too complicated.

You are not making it complicated, the plumber did that all by themselves.

When all is said and done, the ceiling in the garage will need to be repaired and sealed if it was opened, that OSB floor in your photo will need to be repaired and sealed over, and that pipe which appears to go down may go into a wall and will need to be firestopped.

And, of course, the plumber will need to replace the shower pan you opened up.

Sounds like the plumber is going to lose their butt on this one, but at least it sounds like there was a permit as an inspector came out.

Jerry Peck
09-24-2011, 02:37 PM
I would expect the plumber to at least share the cost.

The reason I say the plumber should cover the costs as they cut the joists and just covered the mess over.

IF the plumber has opened it up to do the work and found what needed to be done, the plumber should right then have explained it to you, a structural engineer should have been brought in first, and then the plumber worked around what the structural engineer said. Depending on the contract with the plumber, you would likely have needed to cover that entire cost due to was what found beyond what the plumber could see at the time he gave you the price.

But, for the plumber to do what he did and cover it up - let them cover the entire cost ... or at the very least make them present you with the full argument as to why they should only have to cover part of the cost. :)