PDA

View Full Version : PEX Straps and Support

K Robertson
08-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Had a "discussion" with a plumber about PEX straps and support. He claimed PEX is not supposed to be supported or strapped and even after I showed him the guide stating every 32" he stuck to his guns and said that my guide was misprinted. Claimed that he went to a two day training and they made it very clear that PEX is supposed to be "free flowing" and not bound in any way. Anyone heard of this?

Then there was an area under the kitchen cabinet where the PEX came out from the side and turned upwards towards the faucets. The bend was too strong and again not supported before the bend. The plumber told the client that if he supported any of the PEX it would void his warranty?? I thought it was the other way around. Am I misunderstanding something here?

BARRY ADAIR
08-12-2007, 02:23 AM
Did he look like this?
I've seen his work :confused:
Stick to what you know is right.

Scott Patterson
08-12-2007, 07:44 AM
Had a "discussion" with a plumber about PEX straps and support. He claimed PEX is not supposed to be supported or strapped and even after I showed him the guide stating every 32" he stuck to his guns and said that my guide was misprinted. Claimed that he went to a two day training and they made it very clear that PEX is supposed to be "free flowing" and not bound in any way. Anyone heard of this?

Then there was an area under the kitchen cabinet where the PEX came out from the side and turned upwards towards the faucets. The bend was too strong and again not supported before the bend. The plumber told the client that if he supported any of the PEX it would void his warranty?? I thought it was the other way around. Am I misunderstanding something here?

I think he is confused somewhat. Yes, PEX is suppose to be able to "move" and it should not be restricted by it's supports or tie downs. This is because the PEX moves when water is turned on or off. It needs the ability to flex as the water moves through it. It should not be installed with no play or flex in the line. This is a common mistake. The plumbers pull the PEX tight to make it go as far as it can, kind of like the way an electrician pulls NM cable tight.

If it is too tight it will start to pull away from the connectors. The connectors are secured to the framing and they do not move.