PDA

View Full Version : ABS with Blue Glue

Don Martin
09-29-2011, 11:05 PM
I just inspected a 5300 square foot 5 year old house were nearly everything was done wrong to some degree. Everything from the stair risers varying 2 inches to two of the three tile showers raining into the basement. There were three different areas of the house (attic, basement ceiling joists and under a sink were the visible ABS pipe is glued with blue PVC glue. I know it is wrong and I wrote it up as such, but my question is, Does anyone have any specific information on how these improperly glued pipes fail. Does the incompatible glue attack the pipe causing it to crack or does the joint fail and separate?

Matt Fellman
09-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Like you say.... wrong is wrong. Realistically, it will hold for awhile but who knows for how long. The best information would come from the manufacturer of the glue and piping material. These days with all the high tech plastics, vinyls and adhesives it's almost more of a chemistry question than anything.

If you're looking for specific failure rates and such I'd try to get a hold of some plumbing supply product reps.... if they don't know they could likely put you in touch with the people that do. Maybe start with a call to a well established plumbing contractor in your area and ask him who is a good, knowledgable supplier.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
09-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Blue is HOT set PVC cement.

PVC cement may not be used on ABS.

Presuming you've correctly identified the DWV material then you've likewise identified an incorrect installation.

ABS

: "All soil lines, waste lines, vents, and building drains shall be installed with ABS pipe and fittings conforming to Schedule 40 ASTM F 628 or ASTM D 2661. All products shall bear the seal of a nationally-recognized listing or certifying agency."

See ASTM F402 for safe handling of solvent cements, ASTM D2855 for PVC instructions, ASTM F493 for CPVC instructions, ASTM D2235 for ABS instructions, or the cement manufacturer's instructions printed on the container label for further information.

Both Harvey's and Oatey make a number of blue "HOT" (PVC only) cements, including low VOC versions for So. Calif.. These are PVC solvent cements, not ABS cements. None of the BLUE cements that I'm aware of are suitable for use with ABS Sch. 40 Solid wall or cellular core, construction, to my knowledge.

Examples Oatey Rain R Shine Blue, Oatey Turf-Tite Blue, Oatey Blue Lava Hot, Harvey's Wet Set PVC.

So, no. You can read more about failures, at PFFA.

Don Martin
09-30-2011, 02:13 PM
PFFA? I'm not familiar with that one

H.G. Watson, Sr.
09-30-2011, 05:15 PM
PFFA? I'm not familiar with that one

Oops :o . Check that. Meant PPFA, as in Plastic Pipe and Fittings Associaton.

I think the main site addy is PPFAhome.org

wayne soper
09-30-2011, 07:22 PM
You got a picture of that?
Interested to see that one.

Don Martin
09-30-2011, 11:48 PM
Here you go

wayne soper
10-01-2011, 06:01 AM
Thanks Don, Was wondering how you could see it. Now I know.
Little bit of everything in that place

Don Martin
10-01-2011, 09:17 AM
The blue hue of the glue is easier to see in person. The blue on the white bar code sticker was the first thing I saw. The PVC to ABS transition should have been a green transition glue but I think that subject already has a separate thread. The condensate drain line "saddle tap" is a first for me.

ROBERT YOUNG
03-23-2017, 11:42 AM
That appears to be a class of PVC or schedule pipe (DWV)
No AVV.

PVC Hot Blue LAVA Cement.

In my humble opinion, it's wrong.
Sewer gas can travel back to the appliance via the pan opening. Hi loop the tube and then Bob's probably your uncle that avoid manufacturer's recommendation but willing to look the other way, sort of, depending... It should discharge outside or drain with water trap.

Jack Feldmann
03-23-2017, 02:28 PM
I know this thread is very old, but it could be an incorrect call was made. A quick Google search came up with a blue ABS cement Made by Vtech VT310 ABS glue.

ROBERT YOUNG
03-23-2017, 04:22 PM
I know this thread is very old, but it could be an incorrect call was made. A quick Google search came up with a blue ABS cement Made by Vtech VT310 ABS glue.

Thanks!

Just got hacked Jack Logging in...
Sent to https://www.latamdate.com/join/register16.php?81850&placement=www.inspectionnews.net--personals-d-c--187690996734&ad_keyword=personals&ad_placement=www.inspectionnews.net&ad_matchtype=&ad_adposition=none&ad_target=&ad_network=d&ad_device=c&ad_aceid=&ad_creative=187690996734&gclid=CLaH2fnh7dICFQe2wAodMTMFxQ

Better tell Brian.

John Bagwell
04-21-2017, 02:07 PM
Could it have been Rain or shine? This is what is used on flexible S40 PVC....e.g swimming pool
supply and returns.

- - - Updated - - -

Could it have been Rain or shine? This is what is used on flexible S40 PVC....e.g swimming pool
supply and returns.

- - - Updated - - -

supply and returns.