PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys have PT inspectors?

Marc M
10-02-2011, 07:55 PM
We're looking to take on a part time inspector pretty soon here but wanted to get some perspective.
Those who have had/do have PT inspectors;
What is an average split? Do they do their own reports? How are they Taxed? Insurance?
Thanks

Gunnar Alquist
10-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Marc,

A couple of things to think about when hiring someone. In my case, clients call because they want me to inspect. Not someone else. It has been difficult to get my associate inspector accepted by clients.

I pay my associate as a regular employee. You should check with an attorney and accountant to find out what your responsibilities are and if you can hire someone as an independent contractor.

Split would depend on their responsibilities. Are they responsible for their own insurance? Are they typing the report or just providing notes? Are they marketing? The amount of work that they do will be a factor in deciding a split. Your accountant should be able to provide you with some numbers so you can determine a break-even point.

A part-timer may or may not be interested or motivated enough to do the quality of inspection that you are looking for.

Good luck.

Marc M
10-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Marc,

A couple of things to think about when hiring someone. In my case, clients call because they want me to inspect. Not someone else. It has been difficult to get my associate inspector accepted by clients.
I agree, 100%. However, a majority of the inspection he will perform are of individuals who do not know me. All from the internet.
I pay my associate as a regular employee. You should check with an attorney and accountant to find out what your responsibilities are and if you can hire someone as an independent contractor.
I agree, this I will do for sure.
Split would depend on their responsibilities. Are they responsible for their own insurance? Are they typing the report or just providing notes? Are they marketing? The amount of work that they do will be a factor in deciding a split. Your accountant should be able to provide you with some numbers so you can determine a break-even point.
I think they will carry their own E&O and do their own reports, no marketing. I will provide all the jobs.
A part-timer may or may not be interested or motivated enough to do the quality of inspection that you are looking for.
I'm pretty luck here. I have an great prospect in mind who fits my needs for a PTer perfectly. He has a PT gig now and just looking for some extra money. Super honest, very smart, ethical etc...
Good luck.
Hey GA, read inside the quote..I answered in there thinking it would be new or something... anyway, thanks for your help

Ted Menelly
10-03-2011, 06:28 AM
Hey GA, read inside the quote..I answered in there thinking it would be new or something... anyway, thanks for your help

If he is truly going to be a part timer/fill in inspector and carrying his own insurance then there is absolutely no reason for your take to be anymore than 30%. After all. His own tools, computer, vehicle, gas, E+O

Some say 50% because you are getting the work. I say not. If you get calls from a website then that is cheapest form of marketing and he supplies everything and you offer no tools or any of the items above. You also pay him no benefits. He will need his on GL as well in case he does damage to a pproperty dropping his ladder on the BMW and such.

You carry no liability and he is not only doing all the work but is responsible for everything. All you are doing is sliding your overflow to him. You said something like a 350 minimum so over 100 to you for doing so is pretty decent. Right now if I get extra work (that would be nice right now) I pass it to other inspectors for free. Now if it constanly happened then I would have to make an arrangement like I talked of above.

Marc M
10-03-2011, 07:38 AM
If he is truly going to be a part timer/fill in inspector and carrying his own insurance then there is absolutely no reason for your take to be anymore than 30%. After all. His own tools, computer, vehicle, gas, E+O

Some say 50% because you are getting the work. I say not. If you get calls from a website then that is cheapest form of marketing and he supplies everything and you offer no tools or any of the items above. You also pay him no benefits. He will need his on GL as well in case he does damage to a pproperty dropping his ladder on the BMW and such.

You carry no liability and he is not only doing all the work but is responsible for everything. All you are doing is sliding your overflow to him. You said something like a 350 minimum so over 100 to you for doing so is pretty decent. Right now if I get extra work (that would be nice right now) I pass it to other inspectors for free. Now if it constanly happened then I would have to make an arrangement like I talked of above.
Ted I agree, I was also thinking the same 30%. And yes it's overflow. Thanks