PDA

View Full Version : New Home buyer - Wall question

Chris Fili
10-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Hello everyone,

I am hoping to buy a townhouse I have recently found, currently in the bidding process, however a crack in the drywall has me doubting buying this place as a first time buyer.

The crack runs from an upstairs window frame (pic with the open crack), and seems to continue through the floor(under floor moldings) into the top of the window frame of the living room (pic with green walls). I have read much about shifting etc.. but I am not sure how to take this, the house will be inspected tomorrow and I wanted to get your opinion before I meet with the home inspector. Townhouse was made in 1974.

Appreciated,

Chris

H.G. Watson, Sr.
10-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Show your photos to the HI when you meet him/her first thing at the property tomorrow, then ask the HI about his/her impressions regarding same at the conclusion of his/her inspection.Good luck.

John Kogel
10-06-2011, 04:33 PM
There are areas of expansive clay soil in that part of the country. The clay shrinks when it is super dry, causing foundations to shift. Check the history of the area and read up on the buildings in that part of town.

James Duffin
10-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Is the house on a slab or crawl space?

H.G. Watson, Sr.
10-06-2011, 06:40 PM
As I read the OP the area of concern is under a 2nd floor window to the header for the living room window opening (type unknown) directly below on the first floor.

And that's ALL we've been told and/or shown.

Nothiing has been said to indicate a leap to foundation issues. Heck I'd be first suspect of former water entry, as it get can get darn cold in Edmonon, AB but there's plenty of days to keep the windows open in the spring, summer and fall!

Leave it to the HI who's going to be on site tomorrow, and don't bee a "chicken little"!

Benjamin Thompson
10-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Damn Chinese drywall!
I would surely be looking for foundation cracks.

Jeff Zehnder
10-07-2011, 04:18 AM
Chris,

Most of the replies already point out the obvious. We do not have enough information to be able to render any opinion except to say we need more information. The inspector you have hired will be better able to examine the area and give you some good direction. Make sure you point out any issues you have seen and explain your concerns. Any good inspector will take the time needed to discover what is needed to answer your questions but they may also refer it to a structural engineer if it is beyond their expertise.

John Kogel
10-10-2011, 06:04 PM
As I read the OP the area of concern is under a 2nd floor window to the header for the living room window opening (type unknown) directly below on the first floor.

And that's ALL we've been told and/or shown.

Nothiing has been said to indicate a leap to foundation issues. Heck I'd be first suspect of former water entry, as it get can get darn cold in Edmonon, AB but there's plenty of days to keep the windows open in the spring, summer and fall!

Leave it to the HI who's going to be on site tomorrow, and don't bee a "chicken little"!Nobody is leaping or crying "the sky is falling". What do you suppose would cause a 40 year old home to develop an open crack in the wall, that runs down from the second floor to the first? :confused:
A foundation issue is the most likely cause. And that is reason to mention expansive clay soil, which is a common problem with older buildings in that area.