PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal Tail pipe?

Bruce Ramsey
10-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Some one added a dishwasher to a '75 townhome. Of course the dishwasher drain hose did not have a high loop. The part that has me scratching my head is the use of a tailpipe in a horizontal orientation.

Yeah, Tailpipes are usually installed vertically but is just "poor form" or is there some actual problem with mounting a tailpiece horizontally? Another $10 bucks in parts and this could be corrected but does it really make any difference?

Gunnar Alquist
10-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Some one added a dishwasher to a '75 townhome. Of course the dishwasher drain hose did not have a high loop. The part that has me scratching my head is the use of a tailpipe in a horizontal orientation.

Yeah, Tailpipes are usually installed vertically but is just "poor form" or is there some actual problem with mounting a tailpiece horizontally? Another $10 bucks in parts and this could be corrected but does it really make any difference?

Hi Bruce,

Whenever I see this type of configuration, water from the disposal will push back up into the adjacent sink. I write it up. It has been a long time since I looked at the installation instructions for a disposal, but I would suspect that the tailpiece is to be installed vertically, as you have already stated.

Steven Turetsky
10-10-2011, 08:59 PM
I don't have a problem with the horizontal pipe connecting the 2 sinks. The problem is without a high loop (or built in vacuum breaker); the sink/disposal waste will end up in the dishwasher.

John Kogel
10-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Call for a repair, replacing that sink drain tailpiece with glued ABS fittings. That thing will leak because the compression nut isn't straight on the pipe.

The DW drain hose should be clamped up in a high loop and the power cord should be protected from damage somehow.

Steven Turetsky
10-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Call for a repair, replacing that sink drain tailpiece with glued ABS fittings.

Ditto

Bruce Ramsey
10-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Call for a repair, replacing that sink drain tailpiece with glued ABS fittings. That thing will leak because the compression nut isn't straight on the pipe.

The DW drain hose should be clamped up in a high loop and the power cord should be protected from damage somehow.

Why glued ABS? Everything around here is PVC compression fittings. Once you glue it, you are stuck in that configuration. Makes it hard to upgrade.

Almost nobody uses ABS around here. Almost everything is PVC. ABS is only seen on properties from 1970-80's.