PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing question(PVC/CPVC).

Ceci Horodyski
10-10-2011, 10:06 PM
I live in Chicago(single family home). Can PVC/CPVC be used for interior supply line?

Thanks,
Ceci

Gunnar Alquist
10-10-2011, 10:21 PM
I live in Chicago(single family home). Can PVC/CPVC be used for interior supply line?

Thanks,
Ceci

The IRC allows CPVC but not PVC as distribution piping. So, the answer is probably.

However, local jurisdictions can restrict materials. You should check with your local building department for specifics.

Markus Keller
10-11-2011, 05:45 AM
PVC is only allowed for drain, waste and vent pipe in the City depending on occupancy status and size of the building. All supply pipe must either be copper or galvanized. Any PVC type supply pipe you put in will need to come out.

Bob Elliott
10-11-2011, 08:30 AM
PVC is only allowed for drain, waste and vent pipe in the City depending on occupancy status and size of the building. All supply pipe must either be copper or galvanized. Any PVC type supply pipe you put in will need to come out.

I actually agree with Markus on this one.

Jim Robinson
10-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Not a good place to be a Wirsbo salesman. Have they talked about allowing PEX for residential piping? Can you use it for in floor radiant heat in Chicago?

Markus Keller
10-11-2011, 05:41 PM
You can use the PEX variants for sub slab radiant in the City. PEX has been discussed in the City a bit but the discussion never goes very far. We have enough problems with poor workmanship and DIY around here. Last thing we need is plastic water lines.
PEX is approved though in some suburbs.