PDA

View Full Version : Howling Wind Noise

R Gerads
10-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Our house was built in 2010. Whenever there is a southeast wind there is a loud howling sound that can be heard throughout the house and by our neighbors. It is not a constant howl but is really loud. We can not tell where it is coming from. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this?

Jim Luttrall
10-12-2011, 10:46 AM
I have this pain in my neck, any idea what it could be?:rolleyes:

Rick Cantrell
10-12-2011, 11:25 AM
I have this pain in my neck, any idea what it could be?:rolleyes:

Are you married?;)

Jim Luttrall
10-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Are you married?;)

No, I got rid of that pain a few years ago!

Seriously, to the OP, you have to provide a few more facts, symptoms, and maybe a few photos if you expect anyone short of a fortune teller to give you anything useful.

Jerry Peck
10-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Could be all kinds of things.

Sounds like it is something which is related to the orientation of the house versus the wind: corner of the roof, corner of the building, antenna, guy wires, chimney, shape and angle of the roof relative to the wind, the orientation between your house and the neighbors house, soffit vents, gable vents, the list is almost endless.

You would need to stand outside, and then in the attic, (I would start with those places first) during one of the times the wind is howling and use ear muffs to cover your ears except for one with a piece of hose you hold to your ear. The intent is to block out as much noise as possible except for what is directly at the end of the piece of hose (a piece of PVC pipe will work instead of a piece of hose), then move around until you can hear the noise through the hose/pipe - that will be the direction the noise is coming from.

Now walk toward the noise (keep moving around as the noise may be an echo off a wall) until the noise is beside or behind you, you will then have an idea where the noise is coming from, so you now concentrate your efforts in that direction.

Like blowing air over a the top of a coke bottle, it may just be the way things are positioned when the wind blows from that direction, if that is the prevailing wind direction, then you will hear it more often.

I suspect it is not "in" you house because you said you neighbor also hears it. That, to me, indicates that the noise is from outside.

Once you locate where the noise is coming from, and then what is causing it, you may find that planting a tree or bush will break up the wind and the noise will stop.

Thomas McKay
10-14-2011, 05:42 AM
Could the house have been built on an indian burial mound? :rolleyes: