PDA

View Full Version : Gargage Service Door

Erika Rojas
10-24-2011, 09:41 AM
My husband and I are currently in the process of purchasing a new home in California. As an upgrade we are able to add a service door in the garage- which means we need to pay an extra $1666 for this door or we don’t get one. This is my first home and I am not too familiar with the codes. However isn’t there a code that requires there to be a door that leads to the outside other then the garage door in case of an emergency? Please help.

Dom D'Agostino
10-24-2011, 10:15 AM
No, there isn't. A service door is optional.

Markus Keller
10-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Don't know what the Codes are in CA or prices. However, $1666. for a service door install would be considered a rip-off around here.
Typical garage service door runs $200-400 depending at a big box store. Obviously you could spend a lot more. On a new construction, install would take a good carpenter less than 2 hours. On a rehab/retrofit less than 4 hours.

Dom D'Agostino
10-25-2011, 06:55 AM
Don't know what the Codes are in CA or prices. However, $1666. for a service door install would be considered a rip-off around here.
Typical garage service door runs $200-400 depending at a big box store. Obviously you could spend a lot more. On a new construction, install would take a good carpenter less than 2 hours. On a rehab/retrofit less than 4 hours.

I got the impression that this was new construction. Any change to the plans will cost much more than the cost of the raw materials.

Dom.