PDA

View Full Version : Bowed Bedroom Wall

David Edens
08-14-2007, 07:18 PM
This is my first post, so bear with me:) Let me ask if anyone knows the likely cause(s) behind a bowing drywall between a bedroom and hallway. It is bowed in one spot inward toward the bedroom. There shouldn't be any piping in between the walls.

Jerry Peck
08-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Welcome to THE inspection board.

Quite possibly it was just poorly framed or had a bowed stud or two.

Tim Bruns
08-14-2007, 09:15 PM
If this is a "new wall", studs may have been forced in place after being cut a little to big, then hammered in. Or if this is an old wall "original", I would look for changes in load bearing. This settlement would be a bigger problem worth looking into.

Scott Patterson
08-15-2007, 06:09 AM
Hey David and Welcome!

I would say that it is just poor framing. Most likely a stud or two out of place or they bowed.

Nolan Kienitz
08-16-2007, 06:23 AM
Welcome David,

RE: Framing .... Could be a "feature" !!

Had one new home final inspection in Houston (couple of years ago) that the builder told the buyer the bow in the wall was an enhancement. Goes without saying they checked other homes of same floor plan and that wasn't quite the case.

Come to find out plumbing vents in slab or wall framing was not quite where it should have been and they just "curved" the sheetrock around the vent stack. Would have been an easy fix with a 2x6 stud, but that didn't cross their mind.

Got it all fixed, but was a typical "chore" with the new home builder.