PDA

View Full Version : Receptacle near a gravity wall furnace

Edward Rodriguez
11-21-2011, 08:05 AM
:) Long time no post comrades,

I had an inspection yesterday and noticed a wall outlet located about 12" inches away from the gravity wall furnace's combustion chamber. Should I have called this out? Is there a clearance required from such? Your knowledge would be appreciated.:o

Thanks again

Bruce Ramsey
11-21-2011, 04:20 PM
What are your concerns?

There must be a receptacle within 25 feet of an HVAC system based on current codes.

Rick Cantrell
11-21-2011, 05:23 PM
:) Long time no post comrades,

I had an inspection yesterday and noticed a wall outlet located about 12" inches away from the gravity wall furnace's combustion chamber. Should I have called this out? Is there a clearance required from such? Your knowledge would be appreciated.:o

Thanks again

It will depend on the manufacturer's instructions.
If my memory is correct, then no outlets above the furnace.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
11-21-2011, 08:32 PM
As long as the receptacle isn't pinned in an unapproachable, unservicable, unusable alcove between the furnace and a wall for example, or in an attic installation not serviced by a catwalk, floor surface of sufficient area in proximity of the face of the service receptacle, etc., "working space";

The servicing receptacle is GFCI protected (required for servicing receptacles for HVAC, inside and outside);

The receptacle is readily accessible (if for example is a combination GFCI-receptacle device - required for monthly testing, etc.);

and the location doesn't encorach upon the listed (installation instructions) clearances of the furnace footprint & clearance and/or the furnace itself is listed (if fuel fired and unlisted different grander/wider "clearances" may apply)or its vents/ vent connectors, chimney/chimney connectors, plenum, trunks, cold air return, etc.);

And the furnace isn't located in, say, a garage (unclear as to height of receptacle)

I don't see why the concern/question.

Perhaps I missed some "unspoken" nuance in the OP?

Edward Rodriguez
11-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Thanks again:)

Edward Rodriguez
11-22-2011, 08:41 AM
Happy Thanksgiving all