PDA

View Full Version : Furnace in the garage

mathew stouffer
12-01-2011, 07:18 AM
This is a first:) I wonder if they just forgot and stuck these in at the end.

Scott Patterson
12-01-2011, 08:31 AM

I find them in garages all the time, just need to add some impact protection.

Dom D'Agostino
12-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Same here, it's a regional or climate thing. Most FAU/AHU & WH are both in the garage. Easier to service and replace too.

Stephen G
12-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Gets cold in Utah? that right wall is an outside wall? no insulation. Maybe not the best arraingement. I agree with having some dont hit me posts installed. This is common?

Alton Darty
12-01-2011, 04:36 PM
I have a couple of towns in the area that I service where this type install is fairly common.

Bruce Ramsey
12-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Gets cold in Utah? that right wall is an outside wall? no insulation. Maybe not the best arraingement. I agree with having some dont hit me posts installed. This is common?

Granted we only get 1-3 inches of snow once every third year, but the furnace is in the garage. It will heat the garage enough so that nothing freezes. Common setup in my area. Add a few bollards and good to go.

Fairly common setup in my area of operation for homes built in the 70's and 80's. Currently builders just jam the appliances in the crawlspaces and attics. Temperature wise not a big difference. At least the garage does not have to contend with basically outdoor environment of a crawlspace.

Matt Fellman
12-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Approximately 80% of houses around here (Oregon) have furances in the garage. The regional differences are interesting.

Stephen G
12-01-2011, 07:48 PM
I dont know how well that would work here. Minus 25c in an un-insulated, unheated sorta garage.

Regional differences is right.

Don Hester
12-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Fairly common here in Washington, except in my area there is almost no gas appliances.

Dana Bostick
12-02-2011, 03:09 AM

Pretty common here in California as well. I did note that the vent connection of the water heater vent to the FAU vent is not proper. Supposed to be a Y branch fitting, not a Tee.;)

Robert Dalga
12-02-2011, 06:55 AM
I guess I would also recommend that the plenum be insulated (might be on the inside though???) since the unit is in the garage...same as if in attic or crawlspace (unconditioned). Your just wasteing heat otherwise.

Jim Robinson
12-02-2011, 08:13 AM
That's probably what keeps the pipes from freezing. The uninsulated plenum, that is.

cuba_pete
12-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Seeing as how codes were written as minimums I would mention that installing a metal post (in addition to the raised platforms) would provide much more protection to these gas appliances. I know that most vehicles have bumpers higher than the 18 inches that most codes require for protection.

I didn't even blink an eye at having the furnace in the garage...seems pretty common to me.

mathew stouffer
12-02-2011, 08:55 AM
The garage is not insulated for one and we get temps around -25 to -30. Also the furnace plenums are never sealed 100 percent so if you leave your car idling in the garage that can be a problem for CO. I think its a terrible idea;) But thats just me.

Chris Stichter
12-02-2011, 02:42 PM
I hope to see the furnace in the garage..most times they stick it up in the attic :mad:..June-Sept is brutal!

Darren Miller
12-03-2011, 04:16 AM
Has anyone considered through wall and membrane penetrations of a fire separation wall?

Ducts (fire damper present?) electrical panel and plumbing box?

Jerry McCarthy
12-06-2011, 08:45 AM
I see at least 4 write-ups in that photo.