PDA

View Full Version : Beware of the blue glass sinks...

Eric Shuman
08-18-2007, 05:45 AM
From CBS new:

Glass Sink Explodes In Mass. Home

(CBS) FRAMINGHAM, Mass. A Framingham couple hasn't been able to use their bathroom lately - because their new blue glass sink exploded. It reportedly blew up over the weekend and no one seems to know why.

Cheryl Tully Stoll told the MetroWest Daily News she had the $139 sink installed about three weeks ago.

Then, on Sunday morning, when no one was in the bathroom, she said it just suddenly blew apart.

"It was an explosion - a huge, loud banging, crashing," she told the paper.

Stoll thought her laundry room cabinets had fallen down. No one was hurt. But she said they are still picking up glass fragments in the bathroom.

The president of the company that sold the sink to Stoll, Renovator's Supply of Millers Falls, told the paper they've sold thousands of glass sinks in the last three years and this is only the second time one has exploded.

They've reportedly offered Stoll a replacement or a refund.

(© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

And this is only the second one that has exploded! :rolleyes:

Jerry Peck
08-18-2007, 06:24 AM
And this is only the second one that has exploded!

Let's see ... ;)

You install the sink, attach the tailpiece and pop-up drain kit (through a hole in the bottom of the GLASS sink), install the faucet (through holes in the GLASS sink), and, to make sure everything seats tightly and does not leak, you ... guess what ... *tighten* the nuts for the pop-up drain and faucets.

I kinda suspect we all know what happens when glass is stressed :D ... it breaks ... right?

What does glass do when it breaks? It falls to the floor, where the remaining pieces of the sink shattered upon impact.

Which accounts for the "huge, loud banging, crashing" she heard.

Gosh. Who woulda thought glass would break? :D

Dom D'Agostino
08-18-2007, 07:55 AM
Let's see ... ;)

... install the faucet (through holes in the GLASS sink), ...

It sounds like a vessel sink, so no faucet holes through the glass, just a drain connection.

Jerry Peck
08-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Dom,

These are just a few samples of some I've seen with the faucet mounted through glass.

glass sinks : Glass Countertop : Wall Mount Glass SinksÂ*:Â*Glass SinksÂ*:Â*Bathroom SinksÂ*:Â*Plumbing - Renovator's Supply (http://www.rensup.com/glass-sinks/15584.htm)

glass sinks : sinks : Wall Mount Glass SinksÂ*:Â*Glass SinksÂ*:Â*Bathroom SinksÂ*:Â*Plumbing - Renovator's Supply (http://www.rensup.com/glass-sinks/12428.htm)

And other styles where there is a rear flange behind and around the bowl, with the faucet mounted in there (both to the rear and at the side).

Dom D'Agostino
08-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Jerry,
Those sinks are in no way the normal glass vessel sinks that the typical homeowner will see. What I would call the "Salad Bowl Sink" is pretty typical.

Jerry Peck
03-24-2014, 01:32 PM
This thread was brought to my attention in the last few days (took me a number of tries to find this thread).

There have been multiple glass vessel sinks (and shower doors, glass tables, oven doors, etc. - all tempered glass) ) which have exploded since the time of this thread.

All are encouraged to do a bit of searching on this issue, you can start by entering this phrase "exploding glass vessel sink" into Google search.

There was not a history of exploding glass vessel sinks at the time of this 2007 thread, there is a history of this issue now forming its own trail.

It is quite possible, even probable, that there was no installation issue on that glass vessel sink which exploded and was referenced in the original post.

This issue is something to keep in mind when inspecting homes which have these glass vessel sinks.