PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen these yet?

Rick Hurst
12-06-2011, 09:33 PM
ThinkGeek :: U-Socket USB Wallplug (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travelpower/e81a/)

:) Rick

Dom D'Agostino
12-06-2011, 09:35 PM
I think we need an approved training course on how to inspect them. ;)

Ted Menelly
12-06-2011, 09:36 PM
ThinkGeek :: U-Socket USB Wallplug (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travelpower/e81a/)

:) Rick

I think this is a great idea. My phone can plug into a usb port as such. I am building a new computer that the usb plugs can be used to charge goodies that support usb plug ins.

Thanks for sharing that. Very interesting.

Geek stuff for smart masses. Love it.

Vern Heiler
12-07-2011, 07:56 AM
They might be a little hard to unplug when not in use, as we are encouraged to do by all the "save energy advertisements" we see on TV.

Wayne Carlisle
12-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Unfortunately they are not "to code". Outlets must now be tamper resistant.

Phil Gould
12-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks for posting Rick. I had not seen them.

Ted Menelly
12-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Unfortunately they are not "to code". Outlets must now be tamper resistant.

If it has been adopted. Many areas still are not inspecting for them.

Wayne Carlisle
12-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Yeah I know but don't you guys, home inspectors, always inspect to the most current edition of the codes?

I know you don't do code inspections but you say something like the outlets are not up to the most recent standards .... or something like that!

Would you comment on outlets that are not TR?

Ted Menelly
12-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Yeah I know but don't you guys, home inspectors, always inspect to the most current edition of the codes?

I know you don't do code inspections but you say something like the outlets are not up to the most recent standards .... or something like that!

Would you comment on outlets that are not TR?

I do but I also state that they should be but the area municipalities do not inspect for them yet because they have not adopted it (if I know that. Or if I wrote you and you told me they are not adopted yet ;)). But I also suggest they add them if and when upgrades are added in the future. Trust me. I add all that stuff. That is why I have such a roll over with referring Realtors.

Don Hester
12-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Rick,

Those are sweet. I may have to get a few and try em out. We always have issues looking for chargers around my home for all the friggen devices.

John Kogel
12-07-2011, 01:01 PM
What about all the USB cords that are not meant to have 120 volts applied to them? Such as the patch cords for my cameras, which have exposed contacts on the other end? Those things are not safe, IMO.

Dom D'Agostino
12-07-2011, 01:45 PM
What about all the USB cords that are not meant to have 120 volts applied to them? Such as the patch cords for my cameras, which have exposed contacts on the other end? Those things are not safe, IMO.

Obviously, the USB port is low voltage, not line voltage. The specs for that device read:
Input voltage: AC 100 to 125V 50/60Hz
Output voltage: USB: DC 5.0V 2100mA (2.1 amps)

Rick Cantrell
12-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Website states that tamper resistant feature will be available.
Power, Outlet: U-Socket, Dual Outlet/ Dual USB, 110V, TruePower - U-Socket Power Outlet With Built in USB Ports (http://store.fastmac.com/product_info.php?products_id=458)

Rick Cantrell
12-07-2011, 04:05 PM
I think we need an approved training course on how to inspect them. ;)

Check with Lisa, it may be online and for FREE. :D

John Kogel
12-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Obviously, the USB port is low voltage, not line voltage. The specs for that device read:
Input voltage: AC 100 to 125V 50/60Hz
Output voltage: USB: DC 5.0V 2100mA (2.1 amps)OK, so there's a wall wart transformer stuffed into the box and covered. That's not safe because it is slowly baking the wires and connections in there. It's draining power needlessly. It's only good for a 5 volt device. BTW, a shock of ten millivolts can stop someone's heart.

Don Hester
12-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Gents,

I ordered one to check out. Call it good home inspecting curiosity:D .

John, I will see if I think they are unsafe. I get to be the test rat here ; )

As for the shock value heck whats a few milliamps among friends;)

All I can say is that I have been shocked by much worse things than a USB port and so far not heart stoppage. I know it could happen. But heck I get in my car every day and that can really kill me.

I'll look for a UL listing on it.

Now if the can institute a standard mini-USB on all the devices I would be really happy. Friggen criminal all the varieties.

Jim Luttrall
12-08-2011, 07:31 AM
I see a CPSC notice on these in the near future...
I highly doubt there is a UL listing.

Gary Cox
12-12-2011, 05:38 AM
I just googled one at random called POWER2U. There are different companies making these outlets with USB.
It states it is UL approved.

I think its a great idea.
Perhaps a lot of other people feel the same...I see their all "OUT OF STOCK."

Dana Bostick
12-12-2011, 07:56 AM
They might be a little hard to unplug when not in use, as we are encouraged to do by all the "save energy advertisements" we see on TV.

That applies only to a power supply that has a transformer (wall wart) on it. Those still consume power even if nothing is plugged in to them. Check one with an IR camera some day. Heat + energy being used. They glow in the IR spectrum like little heaters when plugged in.;)

Ted Menelly
12-12-2011, 08:05 AM
There will be a switch put on them or a button or something. The USB ports in computers that charge as well have an on off setting. Either that or the wall units will go on when plugged into.