PDA

View Full Version : Construction defects law under the microscope - Las Vegas Sun

Brian Hannigan
12-07-2011, 05:20 AM
InspectionNews has found this article about defect litigation or expert witness work that may be of interest to you.

Las Vegas Sun
... Schwartz (contact) When the Vistana homeowners association in southwest Las Vegas settled a construction defect complaint for $19 million in 2007, the size of the settlement stood out even in the big-money world of construction defect litigation. ...

More... (http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&fd=R&usg=AFQjCNGeUnPV3HCtfhdMn_iB4axy2EENog&url=http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/dec/07/construction-defects-law-under-microscope/)

Glenn Curtis
12-12-2011, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=Brian Hannigan;184134]InspectionNews has found this article about defect litigation or expert witness work that may be of interest to you.

Thanks for the heads-up Brian. I do a fair amount of EW work but am not anybody's hired-gun. I prefer to earn my money the old fashioned way. No...not that way:eek: I mean defending H.I.'s who get sued. So far I'm batting 100%...for the 'defense'. I combine 35 years in construction with 35 years in the martial arts to get them 'off' every time. It's called 'Toungue-Foo' :p

Ok...ok.... back-2-work!!!

Glenn in La$ Vega$.......................

Ted Menelly
12-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Some fine day you will see things like a flat percentage and I do not mean 40 percent going to attorneys.

I remember in Florida and I have no idea if it was nation wide but workers comp went to a straight 10% above the gross to attorneys. Before that is was in the 40 % range out of the gross. One man got 72,000 for a settlement and the 10% did not come out of him. It got added above the settlement for the man and was a flat 10%. Six months before he finally agreed on that settlement the comp case would have been trippled and the 40 percent would have come out of the gross. They limited the comp filings because it got so out of control with the attorneys advising a law suit for a boo boo. That was still over 7,000.00 for the attorney and I followed that thing from beginning to the end and the client is the one that did absolutely everything along with all the leg wok. If the attorney had 50 hours in it I would be shocked and that would include all the paralegal hours as well. 7,000.00 for less than 50 hours. Yep, I think that is enough. 140.00 an hour considering they are overlapping everyone elses hours with it so it is really double. Yep, thats enough.

Where is that lake?