PDA

View Full Version : Well system storage tank

Mitchell Chiger
12-13-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm used to seeing the water storage tank for a well in a residence placed in the interior of a home in a basement. I found one on the exterior inside of a six foot deep underground compartment. From there it fed water to the interior of the home. Been that way "forever". I thought that freezing would be a problem, but perhaps the underground compartment insulates the tank from this. Any problems with this configuration? Thanks to all who respod

Vern Heiler
12-13-2011, 09:04 AM
I'm used to seeing the water storage tank for a well in a residence placed in the interior of a home in a basement. I found one on the exterior inside of a six foot deep underground compartment. From there it fed water to the interior of the home. Been that way "forever". I thought that freezing would be a problem, but perhaps the underground compartment insulates the tank from this. Any problems with this configuration? Thanks to all who respod

Grew up in northern Michigan (LP) where there is nearly always a week of sub-zero weather during the winter. I have seen wells in a pit, as you describe, protected by a 70 watt bulb.

Eric Barker
12-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Not a problem.

James Duffin
12-13-2011, 11:38 AM
In NC the top of the well casing has to be 12" above ground to keep surface water out of the well so if the well was in the pit also it would be a problem in NC....not sure about where you are.

Raymond Wand
12-13-2011, 01:31 PM
The lid should be weather tight and insulated.
As noted by Vern, a light bulb or infraread bulb is used if there is concern of freezing.

Another factor which can affect the pit is the depth. Shallow pits will freeze sooner than deeper pits.

Cold air is heavy and will fall into pit, that is why a good lid is important.

Mitchell Chiger
12-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Thank you, gentlemen. Appreciate your replies.