PDA

View Full Version : OverFlow Who Needs OverFlows

Billy Stephens
08-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Inspected a 2 story 3000 sq. ft home built in 2001 yesterday in an up and coming area. Bathroom sinks of the one piece top/sink design. All 4 sinks did not have overflow. Guess it takes too long to cut in and hang all that unnecessary clutter underneath.

Any suggestions to upload pictures error message said oversize.

BARRY ADAIR
08-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Billy,
Welcome, glad to see you finally made it.
We've been waiting for you.
Scroll down this page Tip #5 for instructions: http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/h-e-l-p/229-tips-using-message-board.html

Bruce Breedlove
08-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Welcome to the board, Billy. If you would complete your profile we would know where you are located.

Irfanview (www.irfanview.com) is a great, FREE, easy-to-use program that I use to compress photos. It should do the trick for you.

Jerry Peck
08-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Overflows are not required.

It is very simple to install overflows when the sinks are made, and the overflows are cheap enough to buy for the company which makes the sinks, however, when those overflows are installed, they are basically useless anyway.

Billy Stephens
08-19-2007, 07:04 AM
Dear Mr. Peck,
Thank you for your reply and agree to the ease and relative inefficiency. However I shall
continue to note there absence to avoid the nobody told me syndrome.( Lady of the House makeup, hairdryer on sink overflows my phone rings.) My response Lady they are not
require and useless too! So I didn't have to tell you don't worry about mopping as your floor will air dry over time.

Jerry Peck
08-19-2007, 07:29 AM
However I shall continue to note there absence to avoid the nobody told me syndrome.

Billy,

I think you got what I was saying, but your statement above indicates otherwise.

"you shall continue to note" that there is no overflow in those sinks.

Will you continue to note that the overflow which is there in those sinks is useless and will not keep the sink from overflowing? Do you even to that now?

See what I'm saying?

If you do not already, and continue, telling them that those overflows are useless, you may STILL get a call from the "(Lady of the House makeup, hairdryer on sink overflows my phone rings.)" and your phone may still rings.

Writing up one without writing up the other will not accomplish the goal you indicated - i.e., them not calling you.

Very few overflows will keep up with the water supply coming in and will allow the sink to overflow, but those 'cultured marble' overflows are the worst. How about the overflow, or lack there of, at the kitchen sink?

Billy Stephens
08-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Mr. Peck,
Only noting no overflow observed , no statement of usability. Most kitchens have double sinks and people are not accustom to seeing overflows on kitchen sinks as they are in the bath.

Eric Shuman
08-19-2007, 09:21 AM
While I agree that many of the overflows I see are worthless, I also see quite a few that work just fine (and have found out both ways by being distracted by my customer while filling the sinks).

I usually note that the overflows are not present but I also mention that they are not required and that they often are not reliable. I don't list it as a repair but as an FYI. I prefer to avoid that call from an angry client that has to mop up the floor, even if I would not technically be at fault for not mentioning it.

On the converse, if the overflow drain is present in a fixture and it does not prevent overflow. I mention that as a repair issue.

Eric

Billy Stephens
08-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Mr. White,

You are correct overflows are not required. Each of us make independent business decisions each day as what we feel is best. Thank you for your reply.

Billy J. Stephens
Memphis TN.

inspectorbjs@bellsouth.net

Jerry Peck
08-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Only noting no overflow observed , no statement of usability.

You are addressing usability by addressing no overflow.

Billy Stephens
08-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Mr. Peck,

Your reputation of throwing every thing but the kitchen sink appears to need to be upgraded to include the afore mentioned. Noted no hot water heater, dishwasher, front door
light fixtures, ect. Usability or absence? Look froward to learning from seasoned Professionals such as yourself.

Jerry Peck
08-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Usability or absence? Look froward to learning from seasoned Professionals such as yourself.

Lesson 101 ;)

When referring to the operation of an item (the lavatory) and parts of it which are missing or non-functioning, you are referring to its usability.

When referring to a missing item (as in if the lavatory was missing), you are referring to absence - like with "no hot water heater, dishwasher, front door light fixtures, ect." - as in 'tain't there no more'.

Richard Rushing
08-19-2007, 10:23 PM
That's not how I heard "tain't" used ..:)

Jerry Peck
08-20-2007, 10:29 AM
"tain't"

Abbreviation for "it ain't". :)

Not as in 'Don't drink that, it's "tainted".' :D

Jack Feldmann
08-20-2007, 12:14 PM
I had heard that a "taint" was a certain part of anatomy that I can't describe in a less that an x, or maybe R-17 rating.

Be glad to define in an e-mail.
JF