PDA

View Full Version : medieval trusses

John Arnold
08-19-2007, 04:15 AM
This is in the "attic" of part of a castle undergoing restoration in Transylvania.
Transylvania Trust - Banffy Castle at Bontida (http://www.artnouveau.org/TTF/engpress.html)

David Banks
08-19-2007, 04:25 AM
Always inspecting even on vacation!

Jerry McCarthy
08-19-2007, 08:08 AM
I don't see the "Count" hanging from the rafters?

Ross Neag
08-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Are those mortise and tenon trusses, based on bolt patterns? Pretty cool if so...

Jerry Peck
08-28-2007, 08:29 PM
based on bolt patterns?

I'm suspecting they are wood pegs, not bolts.

Thom Walker
08-28-2007, 09:14 PM
I suspect you are correct, Jerry.

For those of you who cannot afford (or are afraid) to go to Transylvania, you can go to Annapolis , Md. and see the State house. From the Rotunda you can look straight to the top of the dome. There are no nails. Of course, it's not like the Banffy Castle. At 3oo years, it's practically new. Let's see how it holds up over time.

wayne soper
08-29-2007, 01:16 PM
I used to do High End renovations on Central Park in Manhattan and we would ride the train to Connecticut every day from Grand Central Station. One evening after a few drinks at the bar we thought we'd see how high up in the station we could get before they threw us out. Well we made it all the way up to the attic above the arched ceiling. Same type of trusses and support system for the ceiling. Really cool stuff. Another cool thing was the walkways at each level that you can see running across the huge glass windows at either end of the station. The walk ways were all 2" glass under your feet. Really weird feeling to see that far down below and know you are walking on glass. I stomped on it a few times and nothing happened aside from my buddies pissing themselves and running for the stairs.

Rick Hurst
08-29-2007, 01:24 PM
I'd bet there was more than just a few drinks that evening. :)

wayne soper
08-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Been to Manhattan have you Rick? Where did we go. I'd like to know haha