PDA

View Full Version : Question RE: Grounding

Marc M
12-20-2011, 12:14 AM
I have a Service equipment panel located roughly 10 feet from the first remote panel.
My question is; the GEC are located on the opposite side of the garage remote panel and actually run into the remote as pictured, which actually looks like a service panel.(There's other stuff wrong in there I know, but for now just concerned about the grounding)
So I'm confused...shouldn't the garage aux panel be separated like an aux panel should be in this case? Or, is it okay to connect the GEC in this panel like a service panel. Gut tells me no but willing to get schooled.

Bruce King
12-20-2011, 06:48 AM
I can't comment on the pictures but basically the GEC must go to the main panel unspliced. Then the load panel would be typical, 4 wire feed with neutrals floating off ground. Sometimes you will find two main panels so then both would have a GEC that can be seperate or one jumped off the other.

Bill Kriegh
12-20-2011, 07:49 AM
The GEC should be connected to the main (first) disconnect, or before (meter or similar). All GEC connections should be made at the same place. It is not permissible to use an equipment ground at a non-service panel in the same structure to make a GEC connection.

GECs serve a completely separate function from an equipment ground and those functions aren't allowed to share conductors.

Marc M
12-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Got it. I appreciate the information.
Marc

ken horak
12-20-2011, 11:01 AM
I can't comment on the pictures but basically the GEC must go to the main panel unspliced. Then the load panel would be typical, 4 wire feed with neutrals floating off ground. Sometimes you will find two main panels so then both would have a GEC that can be seperate or one jumped off the other.

One small correction. The GEC can be spliced, BUT it must be an irreversable splice such as crimped or exothermic weld.

Corey Friedman
12-20-2011, 03:04 PM
"I have a Service equipment panel located roughly 10 feet from the first remote panel."

Ok, just gotta ask. What is a "remote" panel? Does that mean a panel operated by remote control like my TV remote or a different location like a submarine? Just kiddin'.....

Happy holidays to all.

Corey

Marc M
12-20-2011, 03:13 PM
"I have a Service equipment panel located roughly 10 feet from the first remote panel."

Ok, just gotta ask. What is a "remote" panel? Does that mean a panel operated by remote control like my TV remote or a different location like a submarine? Just kiddin'.....

Happy holidays to all.

Corey

LOL...cant win in here. Remote, sub, auxiliary..."other" panel..;)