PDA

View Full Version : Flashin caps, not needed?

Jeff Eastman
08-19-2007, 10:10 AM

Bob Mulloy
08-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Would you agree that flashing caps are not needed on top of the casement trim ?

Hello Jeff,

The windows may be a self-flashing type, in which case your report should have a caveat for risk management. However the top trim boards should still have z-flashing.

Bob Mulloy

Bob Mulloy
08-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Z-flashing above the trim boards required? Please provide reference. I never write that up -- doesn't mean I'm right but I certainly haven't been noting the lack of the Z.

Observation: Metal Z-shaped flashing is missing between the intersection of a horizontal trim board above a window and the adjacent siding.

Analysis: Metal z-flashing should be present above all horizontal trim boards to prevent water infiltration. The flashing should extend under the siding and then downward with a right angle bend over the top edge of the wood trim, and a final right angle bend over the face of the trim board. When z-flashing is missing, there is a risk of water infiltration, concealed damage, decay, and mold and pest infestation. Repair is needed.

Recommendation: I advise that you hire a carpenter to install metal z-flashing wherever missing.

David Banks
08-19-2007, 05:54 PM
I like that Bob. Mind if I use it?

Jerry Peck
08-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Bob, great verbiage.....what's your reference in code , though, to support your position?

Clay,

Things like that don't need support from code or not code, they are "common sense" and *used to be* "good construction practice".

Think like water, ask yourself 'Can I get in there?', if 'yes', it needs a flashing, or a better flashing, or whatever it is you are seeing/not seeing.

bruce m graham III
08-19-2007, 06:25 PM
For some reason In this area I think the alphabet stopped at Y because there is not much Z flashing installed, I write it up as being done improperly and that the caulk should be monitored until a proper flashing can be installed.
Jerry, do they use much Z over on the coast or just caulk.

Jerry Peck
08-19-2007, 06:33 PM
For some reason In this area I think the alphabet stopped at Y because there is not much Z flashing installed,

I was in Gainesville for 20 years, from 1967 to 1987, 'Z' flashing was almost always used back then.

I think it's more of the builders now thinking 'I can save 50 bucks per house, and by the time a leak is discovered, I'm way out of the picture.', but they are not aware of Chapter 95.

Jerry, do they use much Z over on the coast or just caulk.

From what little of that I've looked at, it's hit or miss here, I think mostly depending on age of the house. Older ones were more often done correctly, newer ones more not.

To be truthful, I don't remember is the house we bought a year and a half ago here, built in 1978, has 'Z' flashing or not - guess I'll need to look and see. :)

Thom Walker
08-19-2007, 07:51 PM
To be truthful, I don't remember is the house we bought a year and a half ago here, built in 1978, has 'Z' flashing or not - guess I'll need to look and see. :)

You should have hired an inspector.:D

Jerry Peck
08-19-2007, 08:54 PM
You should have hired an inspector.:D

I did. :D

But, like most buyers, I don't remember everything which was discussed. :)

Don Matthews
08-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Up here in the North, the AHJ will fail a house during the dry-in inspection if he doesn't find Z-flashing above the windows. The only windows I am familiar with that have the factory applied Z-flashing are the ones that are metal framed. It is visible above the window even after the trim boards are applied.

Bob Mulloy
08-24-2007, 03:45 PM
I like that Bob. Mind if I use it?

Be my guest, that is why I posted the text.