PDA

View Full Version : Roof decking edges

dan orourke
08-19-2007, 10:29 AM

Ron Tate
08-19-2007, 01:27 PM
It may be an indication of roof deflection, Dan, but it is a sure indication that the builder didn't use plywood clips between the sheets.

Mike Drorbaugh
08-20-2007, 12:00 PM
When you see the paint exposed on the edges, do you guys write it up as a defect? I always thought we didn't need to but I'm having second thoughts. Isn't in indication of roof deflection, although this is a new home.

Seeing the edge seal revealed on panels may be an indication of deflection--probably is. It could also be nothing more than the difference in thickness from one panel to the next. Manufacturing tolerances are +,- 1/32" and thick and thin places on a panel can be more than that. You would be hard pressed not to find one or two of these "exposed" edges on most roofs.

I would not consider it a "defect" by itself. Also, while panel clips may be desireable on some roofs and spans, they may not code required. 7/16" Rated Sheathing as shown does not need edge clips for truss spaced up to 24" on center.

Bruce Breedlove
08-20-2007, 12:13 PM
It could also be nothing more than the difference in thickness from one panel to the next.

Any difference in decking thickness would be visible on top of the decking, not from beneath where the decking is supported by the roof framing. The interior surface of the decking would not show any discontinuity (unless the framers installed shims between the roof framing and the decking).