PDA

View Full Version : Power Vent Water Heater Vent

Phil Herman
12-26-2011, 03:19 PM
We are installing a power vent hot water heater (Richmond model#6GR50PVE2-42). It uses ambient air for intake and exhausts through 2" PVC.

We have a high efficiency furnace - two PVC pipes already exit the side of the house.

The hot water heater is located next to the furnace in our basement. It would be easiest if we could run the PVC for the hot water heater alongside the PVC for the furnace in our basement. This would result in the water heater exhaust exiting the house next to the furnace air intake.

According to the installation instructions, the water heater exhaust must be at least 3 feet above any fresh air inlet. Would it be acceptable to use a 90 degree fitting to extend the water heater PVC pipe 3 feet up the side of the house, install another 90 degree fitting at this level, and then immediately after this install the 45 degree termination fitting included with the water heater?

Or should the water heater PVC pipe exit the house a distance to the left or right of the furnace intake/exhaust?

Thanks!

Billy Stephens
12-26-2011, 04:12 PM
We are installing a power vent hot water heater (Richmond model#6GR50PVE2-42). It uses ambient air for intake and exhausts through 2" PVC.

We have a high efficiency furnace - two PVC pipes already exit the side of the house.

The hot water heater is located next to the furnace in our basement. It would be easiest if we could run the PVC for the hot water heater alongside the PVC for the furnace in our basement. This would result in the water heater exhaust exiting the house next to the furnace air intake.

According to the installation instructions, the water heater exhaust must be at least 3 feet above any fresh air inlet. Would it be acceptable to use a 90 degree fitting to extend the water heater PVC pipe 3 feet up the side of the house, install another 90 degree fitting at this level, and then immediately after this install the 45 degree termination fitting included with the water heater?

Or should the water heater PVC pipe exit the house a distance to the left or right of the furnace intake/exhaust?

Thanks!
Welcome Phil,

Your Installation Instruction should also have a Maxi. and Min. Vent Lenght Chart shown in the attachment. ( this attachment is Not For Your Specific Water Heater.)

Note that Each 90 elbow adds to the overall length.
* first blush I would say Vent Needs Another Route than as Described.

Scott Patterson
12-26-2011, 05:37 PM
There is also a difference between a "Fresh Air" and "Combustion Air" intake. Fresh air usually refers to air that will be introduced into the living area and combustion air is used in the sealed system of the appliance.

My bet is the furnace is drawing combustion air and it would then be OK to place the WH intake near the HVAC intake.

Phil Herman
12-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Welcome Phil,

Your Installation Instruction should also have a Maxi. and Min. Vent Lenght Chart shown in the attachment. ( this attachment is Not For Your Specific Water Heater.)

Note that Each 90 elbow adds to the overall length.
* first blush I would say Vent Needs Another Route than as Described.

Thanks! I should have mentioned that what I proposed would be with the understanding that the combination of length/bends would not exceed the maximum stated in the installation manual.

Phil Herman
12-26-2011, 05:56 PM
There is also a difference between a "Fresh Air" and "Combustion Air" intake. Fresh air usually refers to air that will be introduced into the living area and combustion air is used in the sealed system of the appliance.

My bet is the furnace is drawing combustion air and it would then be OK to place the WH intake near the HVAC intake.

Scott - thanks! I have to correct something I stated earlier. After reading your post, I re-read the installation manual. It states, "Vent Terminal must be at least 3 feet above any forced air inlet located with 10 feet. Any fresh air or make-up air inlet such as for a dryer or furnace area is considered to be a forced air inlet."

With this corrected/additional information, would you say I do need to stay 3 feet from the furnace inlet?

If so, do you think I would be OK extending it vertically up the house the 3 feet as long as I don't exceed the recommended length/bends for this water heater?

Billy Stephens
12-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks! I should have mentioned that what I proposed would be with the understanding that the combination of length/bends would not exceed the maximum stated in the installation manual.
Are you basing the 3ft requirement off a chart similar to the Attachment?

Phil Herman
12-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Are you basing the 3ft requirement off a chart similar to the Attachment?

Billy - Thanks for your help. Yes - I attempted to attach the page from the installation manual that I am referencing. Item #3 under the "Horizontal Vent Terminal Location" also states "3 feet above any forced air inlet located within 10 feet."

Billy Stephens
12-27-2011, 05:52 PM

Thanks!
After looking at your attachment ( taking into account your statements of using 2" and you have fractured in all the elbows and you are still under the Max length ) it appears feasible.

What's the Last 90 degree's purpose?