PDA

View Full Version : A new year! Drip Leg...Sort Of

Bob Knauff
01-05-2012, 06:50 PM
OK Johnnie, go on over and install the clients water heater and don't forget to put a drip leg in the gas line.

Steven Saville
01-05-2012, 07:00 PM
OK Johnnie, go on over and install the clients water heater and don't forget to put a drip leg in the gas line.

Wow! and even used a cast iron tee which, unlike malleable fittings are subject to breakage. Looks like homeowner handiwork!

James Duffin
01-05-2012, 07:20 PM
That's the beauty of cast iron fittings....you can remove them with a hammer!

Bob Knauff
01-05-2012, 11:05 PM
It's actually black iron pipe which is acceptable to use for gas line. Cast iron cannot be threaded.

Garry Sorrells
01-06-2012, 05:01 AM
Installer had the diagram oriented wrong and was dyslectic and was given a 90 and plug instead of a pipe and cap. What do you expect from a 12 yr old?

Steven Saville
01-06-2012, 06:54 AM
It's actually black iron pipe which is acceptable to use for gas line. Cast iron cannot be threaded.

Nobody mentioned the black pipe which is acceptable. Cast iron fittings are NOT as they are easily broken by sudden shock. I've removed many steam/hot water heating systems piping by merely breaking the fittings with a hammer.

Bob Knauff
01-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Nobody mentioned the black pipe which is acceptable. Cast iron fittings are NOT as they are easily broken by sudden shock. I've removed many steam/hot water heating systems piping by merely breaking the fittings with a hammer.

Steven called the Tee cast iron in his response. You are correct though, cast iron can be easily broken.

James Duffin
01-06-2012, 05:34 PM

Me too...and watched the asbestos fill the air! :mad: