PDA

View Full Version : old copper water reservoir?

Kristi Silber
01-11-2012, 11:53 AM
This long, flat copper box has two pipes at the bottom, one 1/2" and the other 3/8" with a valve on it, both pipes running through the floor. It is in a closet on the third floor of a house from 1905. What is it?

Raymond Wand
01-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Its an old expansion tank for the hot water heating system. As with this one in old homes they were installed in the attic or closet.

Raymond Wand
01-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Here you go

Kristi Silber
01-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks, Raymond! Never would have thought of that in a million years, it being so far from the boiler. I suppose it had to be above the level of the radiators.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
01-11-2012, 04:33 PM
kristi

i thought you only did exterior inspections--what gives

cvf

Kristi Silber
01-11-2012, 04:38 PM
No, I do some that are exterior only, some both exterior and interior.

Kristi Silber
01-11-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't normally look in closets, but this was a more detailed survey, high replacement cost.

Photo was taken with the PH's permission for the express purpose of posting here to find out more about it.

Kristi Silber
02-21-2012, 03:46 PM
I went back to this house today and talked to a plumber who was working there. He said this thing is actually a water heater. The 1/4" (not 3/8", as I first wrote) copper tube is a gas line, and there's burner at the bottom of the tank. He said he's seen them associated with a lot of old bathrooms, sometimes hung right on the wall.

I was hoping the homeowner would want to get rid of it, but no such luck.

Found a site strictly about about water heaters (http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pages/WHRpages/English/site-map.html). They even have a water heater forum. Could be some good info here (though I haven't found anything like the one in my photo).

Jerry Peck
02-21-2012, 04:05 PM
I went back to this house today and talked to a plumber who was working there. He said this thing is actually a water heater.

That would make a great conversation piece and souvenier. :)

Rod Butler
02-21-2012, 04:40 PM
That would make a great conversation piece and souvenier. :)

It would also be worth its weight in, well, copper.