PDA

View Full Version : Another award-winning Philly chimney

John Arnold
01-14-2012, 09:29 AM
60 year old row house, almost completely rehabbed, and a pretty good job, too, except for this. The chimney isn't in use anymore, but still...

Nick Ostrowski
01-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Is that a shared chimney or does that gem belong entirely to your client?

John Arnold
01-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Is that a shared chimney or does that gem belong entirely to your client?

Shared, which, I imagine, may complicate things.

Nick Ostrowski
01-14-2012, 11:56 AM
If there was a Playboy just for chimneys, that crap pile would be the playmate and centerfold of the month.

Stephen G
01-15-2012, 07:51 AM
I didnt think it got that windy in Philly. Shouldnt have a draft problem.
Judging by the nice lean, I would suggest at least one pipe is no longer connected properly.

Michael Bronner
01-16-2012, 06:31 AM
This a perfect example of why ALL homes should be inspected and especially why roof access is a must, within safety reasons of course. I'd use this photo to illustrate the need for inspections, as if we need more.

Joseph Hagarty
01-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Another reason I avoid Philadelphia....
these are easier....
and pay the same....
:)

Nick Ostrowski
01-19-2012, 06:00 AM
C'mon Joe. You're getting soft. ;)

Garry Sorrells
01-19-2012, 06:31 AM
John,
Was this a 2 story or a 3 story roof and how did you access it ? Any skylight ?

John Arnold
01-19-2012, 12:25 PM
John,
Was this a 2 story or a 3 story roof and how did you access it ? Any skylight ?

2-story, 28' extension ladder.

I think there was a skylight. Why?

Garry Sorrells
01-20-2012, 08:43 AM
John,
Most of old Baltimore row homes have a skylight, solution to the light and air requirements for all rooms. Thought that Phil houses would have them also. Baltimore the skylights are usually a real mess with tar over tar in an effort to seal them for leaks. After seeing chimney thought skylight might be the same.

Access question was a result of comments about how high some will go before they say its to dangerous. Just curious.

Marc M
01-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Sweet...

John Arnold
01-21-2012, 04:11 AM
John,
Most of old Baltimore row homes have a skylight, solution to the light and air requirements for all rooms. Thought that Phil houses would have them also. Baltimore the skylights are usually a real mess with tar over tar in an effort to seal them for leaks. After seeing chimney thought skylight might be the same.

Access question was a result of comments about how high some will go before they say its to dangerous. Just curious.

Yep, we have a lot of skylights, too. In fact, on those row houses with flat roofs where I can't get up on the roof, I use the skylight, if there is one, to at least get a limited look at the roof.

Lou Curley
01-27-2012, 02:56 PM
60 year old row house, almost completely rehabbed, and a pretty good job, too, except for this. The chimney isn't in use anymore, but still...

John,
I'm not sure if you've ever taken the EL train through West Philly, but you see hundreds of chimneys just like this. (The train is slightly higher than the rooftops) I also stay out of Philly.
Lou Curley
Drexel Hill, PA