PDA

View Full Version : You Are Getting Sleepy. VERY SLEEPY!

Bruce Breedlove
08-22-2007, 12:01 AM
I think I found the cause of the sellers' drowsiness, headaches and nausea. This is the metal chimney connector serving the furnace. A new roof was installed 3 years ago. The roofers installed new plywood decking over the old rotted decking. (That's another issue.) I'm sure when they reinstalled the old rusted-out metal chimney they failed to reconnect it to the connector in the attic. (I have seen this done, er, not done, before.)

Interestingly, the re-roof was permitted (a mild surprise) but the inspector did not catch this. I guess it is possible the rotten connector and chimney were reconnected during the re-roof and later fell apart but I would have thought the inspector would have noticed their extremely poor condition.

This was a tri-level. The furnace was exhausting into the lower attic so the fumes could easily migrate into the upper level through the access door over the stairs.

Scary!

David Banks
08-22-2007, 03:05 AM
Amazing! I would feel like a hero If I found something like that!

Michael Thomas
08-22-2007, 04:29 AM
The phrase "negligent homicide" comes to mind...

Barry Grubb
08-22-2007, 06:07 AM
I haven't seen one that bad yet but I did run into this gas furnace exhaust recently.

Jim Luttrall
08-22-2007, 06:21 AM
Bruce, please tell me that was't my son's house!
Jim

Michael Thomas
08-22-2007, 07:35 AM
I've reached the point where when I see a re-roof, I just assume that I'm often going to find an improperly/disconnected vent.

But Bruce's example is just, well...

Bruce Breedlove
08-22-2007, 08:46 AM
Bruce, please tell me that was't my son's house!
Jim

No, it was not. I found this before I went to do his. I gave him plenty to think about but nothing like this.