PDA

View Full Version : Exposed flue

Marc M
01-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Do you think that exposed flue liners will affect drafting due to the potential temperature difference from the liners surrounded by brick and these which are exposed? I mean its only two liners....

Gunnar Alquist
01-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Do you think that exposed flue liners will affect drafting due to the potential temperature difference from the liners surrounded by brick and these which are exposed? I mean its only two liners....

I dunno Marc, I would be concerned about seismic movement and them heavy liners landing on someone's head. I think we can safely say that is not an approved installation.

Marc M
01-20-2012, 10:35 PM
I dunno Marc, I would be concerned about seismic movement and them heavy liners landing on someone's head. I think we can safely say that is not an approved installation.

Hey Gunnar...Yea, the unit actually had more issues than this. I used the technical term "all jacked up".:D

wayne soper
01-21-2012, 04:18 AM
that was added.
now it needs a full level 2 inspection
good idea smart guy
was there an addition, Dormer, within 10 feet, up there where the height adjustment was required?

Eric Barker
01-21-2012, 07:19 AM
When I see something like that I wonder why it was done - mostly likely because something was not performing correctly to begin with.

Jerry Peck
01-21-2012, 08:32 AM
When I see something like that I wonder why it was done - mostly likely because something was not performing correctly to begin with.

Or that it was not high enough above any part of any structure within 10 feet of it - that would be my first guess, but the photo does not show enough to know for sure.

Marc M
01-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Here's the only image I got from a distance.

Jerry McCarthy
01-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Chimney flue liner extensions OK, color not !

John Kogel
01-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Chimney flue liner extensions OK, color not !JC, I think you mean those don't look like real flue tiles? and you might be right.

I agree it needs to be checked out, and repaired or upgraded. Most likely it was done to cure a downdraft issue from wind coming over the roof.
They will get some cooling on those top two tiles, so there will be creosote build up there. If they only burn store-bought Presto logs or bone dry wood, that won't be much of an issue.

A house up the road from me has that same chimney design. It has survived about 4 years now. It's our local seismic event gauge. :D

Bob Harper
01-21-2012, 06:24 PM
last time I checked a 'chimney' was comprised of a min. 4" wythe wall surrounding a flue liner. If you need to extend the flue gas outlet, you need to extend the chimney.