PDA

View Full Version : Who needs combustion air?

John Arnold
01-24-2012, 02:26 PM
As I keep telling clients, I see something new at every inspection.

Paul Sew
01-24-2012, 03:42 PM
That's a great filter did you tell them to change it often. It's funny when installing these systems they can get away with such issues. Look at this furnace I just saw.

Galen L. Beasley
01-25-2012, 10:29 AM
That's a great filter did you tell them to change it often. It's funny when installing these systems they can get away with such issues. Look at this furnace I just saw.
At least they used the metal dryer vent rather than the vinyl type. Also changing the filter will be easy.

Peter Louis
01-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Also, is it ok the vent to masonry chimney? A wood burning or gas burning fireplace?

Paul Sew
01-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Also, is it ok the vent to masonry chimney? A wood burning or gas burning fireplace?

Fine to vent through the chimney, but the issue is improper material used to vent from the furnace. It was a very shady job on the furnace with the supply plenum cut off and funky vents all over the basement for heat. The chimney was also a good clue for an oil tank.

Corey Friedman
01-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Fine to vent through the chimney, but the issue is improper material used to vent from the furnace. It was a very shady job on the furnace with the supply plenum cut off and funky vents all over the basement for heat. The chimney was also a good clue for an oil tank.

Was the vent just some Class 0 flexible duct or was it a Metal-Fab B-vent?
http://www.mtlfab.com/media/L1940.pdf

Corey

Paul Sew
01-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Was the vent just some Class 0 flexible duct or was it a Metal-Fab B-vent?
http://www.mtlfab.com/media/L1940.pdf

Corey

Corey, thanks for the insight of that bvent material, I'll have to go back and have a closer look. It does look like that flex b-vent.

Steve Duchene
01-27-2012, 12:07 PM
It is not okay to vent an 80% furnace to a masonry chimney unless it has a metal liner according to most manufacturers because of the cooling and condensation issues

Richard Johnson
02-14-2012, 06:35 AM
It is not okay to vent an 80% furnace to a masonry chimney unless it has a metal liner according to most manufacturers because of the cooling and condensation issues

The primary reason for this is that when the chimneys were designed, the gas appliances connected had standing pilots which constantly provided minimal heat source to the chimney keeping it warm allowing good draft. When you remove a standing pilot device and install an intermittent pilot device, the chimney cools during the off cycle. When the device then starts its cycle, the combustion gasses cool in the chimney preventing proper draft.

Binford Tools
02-14-2012, 08:40 AM
As I keep telling clients, I see something new at every inspection.

Dang that's down right scary. Not enough air would mean incomplete burn which could crate very high CO. :eek:

Here they require a 90 ell on the intake to prevent something from accidentally falling and restricting the intake. But in this case the HO might have still stuff a rag in it :rolleyes:

John Kogel
02-14-2012, 09:50 AM
As I keep telling clients, I see something new at every inspection.Are you sure that's a rag? It looks like religious head gear to me. :D:)