PDA

View Full Version : in the toilet... Help

Anthony Alderman
08-23-2007, 05:00 PM
My boss and I did a house together today. The toilet flushed fine but would only refill to the bottom 1/3 of the bowl. He wants to call it, but I don't know WHAT toooo call it. Sure it fills, just knot enough ,but is that a defect? I've looked all over for a "fix" for the problem but to no avail. Can ya give a guy a hand??? Thanks
Tony

Thom Walker
08-23-2007, 05:42 PM
You didn't mention the age of the toilet, but a quick guess would be the ports under the rim may be clogged.

I'm not sure I would call it a problem at 1/3 full and flushing well. Go back to the house tomorrow morning. Deposit your breakfast loaf. Flush. If it takes it, no problem. If not, you can document with pictures. :D

Anthony Alderman
08-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Thorm,

I would take your advice but I'm an evening man myself. Great advice though. Toilet 1.6 2000

:)

Jerry Peck
08-23-2007, 06:24 PM
The only way to answer your question is to have checked the trap level by filling the bowl slowly with water until it did not fill any higher, the water just kept draining back out.

That is the trap level and the intended water line in that toilet. It should fill to that line.

Many newer toilets have low water lines, which are necessary to be able to use less water per flush and re-fill.

However, if the water line is higher than it would fill to on its own, that means the water level valve in the tank is not working properly (not enough fill water flowing into the overflow in the tank). Then, you have a problem, albeit a small one. This would be the case in my house, where the hall bath toilet fills properly, but the master bath toilet does not (I have to hold the handle down to allow it to fill fully). Both toilets are identical, I just need to find time to replace the water level control valve (float valve) in the tank. And, yes, my inspector did point that out to me when we bought the house and had it inspected ... a year and a half ago. :eek: When I get to remodeling this bathroom, probably next year, that is when it will get replaced. :)

Anthony Alderman
08-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks Jerry.

Richard Rushing
08-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Comm'on folks!! You mean to tell me you guys don't field test the toilets?

Ya just gotta inspect the door locks first.:)

BARRY ADAIR
08-24-2007, 01:01 AM
Comm'on folks!! You mean to tell me you guys don't field test the toilets?

Ya just gotta inspect the door locks first.:)

Rich,

I thought we all agreed years ago this was the preferred model of the HI ;)

The Ultimate Portable toilet for the outdoorsman. (http://www.bumperdumper.com/)

Darren Miller
08-28-2007, 05:17 PM
My toilet had that problem; simple fix, the fill tube was disconnected. Once I connected it, the bowl filled up to the right height.

Darren

New Jersey Home Inspection - About the House! (http://www.aboutthehouseinspections.com)

Jerry Peck
08-28-2007, 05:54 PM
My toilet had that problem; simple fix, the fill tube was disconnected.

Wish mine was that easy, I'd have fixed it last year when we bought the house - I need to replace the water level control valve - not difficult, just do not have the time right now.

Randy Aldering
08-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Pull the tank lid and see what's happening when the toilet is flushed. Does the tank fill to the proper level? Is the bowl fill line connected to the tank overflow tube? It sounds like either something is disconnected, or the fill valve is not running long enough. Any way it comes out, it does not appear to flush properly, and a plumber is needed.

Bruce Breedlove
08-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Whatever you do don't tap your foot while sitting on the toilet! :D

Michael Thomas
08-30-2007, 01:44 PM
And, yes, my inspector did point that out to me when we bought the house and had it inspected ..

I suspect inspecting Jerry's house would be.. er... a "learning experience"....