PDA

View Full Version : Fireplace/Chimney Lack of Lateral Support?

Connie Chen
02-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Hi,

Someone could help? Need some professional opions.

The inspector commented:
Lack of latral support for chimney structure; rafters are used for vertical support of chimney structure - please refer to construction plan.

He said the estimated cost to fix the problem is about $3000.

Thank you.

Jerry Peck
02-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Could cost more than that, depending on what it takes to properly correct it - and it does need correction.

The chimney framing should go all the way down to the ceiling, if not below the ceiling, and then be framed up through the roof as one structure, not built like a box and then set on the roof and nailed in place - which is what it looks like was done from the photo.

John Kogel
02-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Jerry, the chimney is a simple hollow box. The rafters are doubled up on both sides, and the chimney is adjacent to the ridge of a hip.
Sure, it could be built stronger, but they should consult the plan, IMO.

Jerry Peck
02-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Jerry, the chimney is a simple hollow box.

And that simple hollow box should extend from the bottom chord of the trusses/ceiling joists to the top of the chimney so that it will withstand wind loads.

That simple hollow box should not just be nailed down to the roof sheathing for anchorage ... even if the plan says so. ;)

Joseph Hagarty
02-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Here is what will eventually happen if not repaired....
(Downingtown PA Community) October 2011

John Kogel
02-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Wow. Thanks, Joseph. I think you could say that was a catastrophic failure. :D
I'm convinced, Jerry. You are correct to call for a rebuild.

Nick Ostrowski
02-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Here is what will eventually happen if not repaired....
(Downingtown PA Community) October 2011

It's just a flesh wound. ;)

Markus Keller
02-04-2012, 10:12 AM
For $3K I'd do that job everyday.
No the box shouldn't just be nailed to the roof obviously. Will it come down tomorrow because of wind loads? Probably not. The wind loads will probably loosen it up over time, cause roof leaks and then it will come crashing down.
For a good carpenter though its a fairly easy fix to restructure it properly.